(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

37 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

The D-Backs are losing 4-1 already today in the 7th.  Look at their remaining schedule.....Dodgers for 3, at San Fran for 3, Colorado for 3.  What game are they winning in there?  They maybe finish 1 - 8 if they can get one from Colorado  We are not going to finish 1 - 9.  We probably win 2 alone against Texas.  

Counting today if they win I think Arizona can finish 3-7, taking one or two in the series against Colorado. If the O's get hot or finish 4-6, nothing you can do. Hopefully Texas can play well in their 4 game series. 

Honest question, do you think the O’s should go out of their way (more than usual) to field non competitive teams for the last 9 games to try and get 1-1.  They can sit Means, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins once he gets 30-30 all in the name of “evaluating other players”.  And really does it matter that much that we get 1-1 instead of 1-2?

3 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Honest question, do you think the O’s should go out of their way (more than usual) to field non competitive teams for the last 9 games to try and get 1-1.  They can sit Means, Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander and Mullins once he gets 30-30 all in the name of “evaluating other players”.  And really does it matter that much that we get 1-1 instead of 1-2?

Over the history of the draft, it matters a lot.

Doesnt mean it will for the 2022 draft.

And no, you don’t do that.  The reality is they aren’t likely to win many, if any, of their final 6 games but any win in those games could keep an ALE team from making the playoffs, so that’s kind of a nice bonus because you know, F those guys.

It really will come down to these next 3 games imo.  Winning 3 or 4 of these games vs Texas probably locks us into the #2 pick.  

7 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Hell no.  It goes against the integrity of the game to sit all of your good players.  And the O's have already shown the ability to lose without even trying.  Also, I don't buy the hype about Elijah Green being the clear 1-1.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Hell no.  It goes against the integrity of the game to sit all of your good players.  And the O's have already shown the ability to lose without even trying.  Also, I don't buy the hype about Elijah Green being the clear 1-1.  

I totally agree.  I personally don’t see much of an advantage to go out of our way to lose  from here on out.  If we are planning on trying again at the MLB level in the next two years then I feel it is important to show the current players (some of which will be here during competitive days) that we don’t just mail it in.  Changing our losing culture and attitude is important and difficult and should start now.  The worst part about the 19 game losing streak was the feeling that we had completely given up, we obviously have along way to go.  I think we should take pride in playing well enough to get the second pick instead of seeing hope in playing poorly enough to get the first.

• Upvote 1

I hate the idea of trying to lose or rooting for the team to lose.   I refuse to root for losses and would not want to team to dilute its already diluted lineup to try to lose.   I’d rather root for them (and the DBacks) to win and just take some solace when the O’s lose that at least it’s helping with the draft pick.  If I had my choice of going 9-0 and finishing with the no. 2 pick and going 0-9 and finishing with no. 1, I’d definitely prefer the former.   That may be shortsighted but it’s the way I’m wired.   (And yes, I realize that if we went 9-0 we might pick 3rd or even 4th, though the latter is highly unlikely.    I might waiver at the prospect of only getting the 3/4 pick, so I’m only talking about no. 2.)

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hate the idea of trying to lose or rooting for the team to lose.   I refuse to root for losses and would not want to team to dilute its already diluted lineup to try to lose.   I’d rather root for them (and the DBacks) to win and just take some solace when the O’s lose that at least it’s helping with the draft pick.  If I had my choice of going 9-0 and finishing with the no. 2 pick and going 0-9 and finishing with no. 1, I’d definitely prefer the former.   That may be shortsighted but it’s the way I’m wired.   (And yes, I realize that if we went 9-0 we might pick 3rd or even 4th, though the latter is highly unlikely.    I might waiver at the prospect of only getting the 3/4 pick, so I’m only talking about no. 2.)

I have to respectfully disagree with rooting for wins right now.  I get what you are saying...  but there are rarely wins that ever occur that mean less than any that will happen in our closing stretch upcoming. 

When winning actually hurts you big picture in times like these, you didn't actually win... you lost.

I will NEVER root for the team I have followed for most of my life to lose. Loses don't upset me now like they did when the O's were relevant. Plus, wins are special since they are so few and far between. ( Especially wins over the Yankees, Jays, and Sox. )

I will be rooting for my team to have an affect on  Boston or Toronto making the play-offs. Know it's a long shot - but why not? I still relish that last game when the O's knocked the Sox out of the play-offs. That started something. Maybe again?

Wouldn't it be nice if we ended the year with Boston the way we began? If not there is always - Cito Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never roll over for any team for any reason.

52 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

When winning actually hurts you big picture in times like these, you didn't actually win... you lost.

This. Who can forget our glorious pounding of the Yankees in the last series of 2000 long after that team had already clinched the division? Those extra wins meant zilch to us long term, but six months later they were the main reason Texas drafted ahead of us and snagged Maryland native Mark Teixeira while we chose the immortal Chris Smith.

But then again our draft / scouting squad back then was historically clueless so they might have still chosen Smith over Teixeira had they the opportunity to do so. All I know for sure right now though is that we have a real good (perhaps the best) draft / scouting squad on our side this time and I want them to have every advantage they can get going into the next draft. If losing a couple three extra games now means adding an extra 50 or 60 extra wins in the next decade then you have to make that trade off no matter how it looks.

We’re trying to compete in the AL East, where no quarter is given and none will be asked. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

But it's ok when teams that have clenched playoff spots do it.  What's wrong with a terrible team like the O's resting their players.