Elias and Hyde have to go

Patrick Mack

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re assuming he’s tried to build one.  But exactly how many times did we not have a below average bullpen between 1998-2011?

It's HARD to find a good SS without spending significant assets.  It is comparatively easy to find a BP arm without spending significant assets.

I think they could have done better in the last two years or so of rooting through that waiver wire, rule 5, etc, to get a few better arms.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

It's HARD to find a good SS without spending significant assets.  It is comparatively easy to find a BP arm without spending significant assets.

I think they could have done better in the last two years or so of rooting through that waiver wire, rule 5, etc, to get a few better arms.

And they are easy to flip.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re assuming he’s tried to build one.  But exactly how many times did we not have a below average bullpen between 1998-2011?

He has had two off seasons, if he hasn't tried to build a bullpen he should probably be fired. 

I see this a lot.  "Its okay the Orioles are terrible because Elias has tried to make [insert aspect of team] better."

Its a pretty lazy team building.  The GM should always try and build more talent into the system and that doesn't always take free agent signings.

While its great he has built a top farm system we also need to acknowledge that Elias has been fairly terrible at identifying additional talent.

Maybe Wells, maybe Urias, maybe Mateo.  Not much there.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

He has had two off seasons, if he hasn't tried to build a bullpen he should probably be fired. 

I see this a lot.  "Its okay the Orioles are terrible because Elias has tried to make [insert aspect of team] better."

Its a pretty lazy team building.  The GM should always try and build more talent into the system and that doesn't always take free agent signings.

While its great he has built a top farm system we also need to acknowledge that Elias has been fairly terrible at identifying additional talent.

Maybe Wells, maybe Urias, maybe Mateo.  Not much there.

I don’t think he’s been terrible. Was he actually trying to build a ML team? The three you mentioned were two waiver claims and a rule 5 pick. Waiver claims are another team’s trash that they were unable to trade. His rule 5 track record is not too great, but injuries to Martin make the grade incomplete just yet. The two pitchers in 2020 and Sceroler in 2021 were just not worthy. 

He did sign Iglesias, Galvis and Franco to FA deals. Iglesias was fantastic and Elias traded him since his value will not ever be higher. Galvis was pretty good before the injury, and he traded him for a low end bullpen minor league arm. Franco looked about 50 years old most of the year, but most thought he would be a slight improvement over Ruiz. 

He signed Matt Harvey, who has been up and down, sure. But he has been a good cheap veteran addition. A role model for the young guys to see what a real pro looks like in his routine and the way he prepares and competes. Tommy Milone worked out pretty good as well. He got bargain basement performance for bargain basement prices. 

Severino was a waiver claim, and yes, he’s been maddening often. Some good, some bad. Rio Ruiz was the same. Both were solid claims though. Hanser Alberto was not a bad claim either. 

I am sure I am forgetting other acquisitions, but it isn’t a bad list. It is what it is. A rebuild. He was open about it the entire time. He was not going to sink resources into the ML team for the first few years. I think this coming year is when it begins to change. Maybe I am wrong, but to judge Elias on his talent acquisitions is premature in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

Ellas and Hyde gotta go? Go where? OK, to paraphrase Ghost Busters- "Who ya goin call?" 

With this ownership? Really?  - "Who ya goin call?" 

I'm getting use to this "stress free environment!"  Wake me next year (if you can) and we will analyze and talk.?

34 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Ellas and Hyde gotta go? Go where? OK, to paraphrase Ghost Busters- "Who ya goin call?" 

With this ownership? Really?  - "Who ya goin call?" 

I'm getting use to this "stress free environment!"  Wake me next year (if you can) and we will analyze and talk.?

I think we all know who has to go to give this rebuild a good chance to work. Most of us, anyhow.

17 hours ago, Pickles said:

Thats all Tampa Bay appeared to do, besides the guys they had in the system already.