Jorge Mateo 2021

interloper

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Coggins came up with Bumbry.  I don't think he ever played with Blair.

Did Brady Anderson, Finley, and Devo play together for a year - before the infamous Glenn Davis trade?

In 1974 Coggins played in 113 games and Blair played in 151.  

In 1973 Coggins played in 110 games and Paul Blair played in 146

In 1972 Coggins played in 16 games and Blair played in 142.  

So... they played in about 239 games together.  

15 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Yeah, we've already gone over that.  Thanks.  

14 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

You’re assuming Blair was playing when Coggins did.  Blair started 113, 123 and 136 games (all in CF) in those years (regular chron order).   Coggins also started games in CF those 3 years: 9 in ‘72 (2 were complete games for him there, 38 in ‘73 (17 complete games), 26 in ‘74 (11 complete games).   So it looks to me likely that Blair didn’t play at all in the 30 complete games Coggins played in CF).   There may be some others where Blair came in as a defensive sub for Coggins and the latter left the game.   However, it appears that most of the games where Blair came in for defense, Coggins stayed in the game but moved to RF.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re assuming Blair was playing when Coggins did.  Blair started 113, 123 and 136 games (all in CF) in those years (regular chron order).   Coggins also started games in CF those 3 years: 9 in ‘72 (2 were complete games for him there, 38 in ‘73 (17 complete games), 26 in ‘74 (11 complete games).   So it looks to me likely that Blair didn’t play at all in the 30 complete games Coggins played in CF).   There may be some others where Blair came in as a defensive sub for Coggins and the latter left the game.   However, it appears that most of the games where Blair came in for defense, Coggins stayed in the game but moved to RF.

Granular! :)

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And that makes sense because Baylor probably started in RF but had a terrible arm - and Bumbry must have been in LF.     

That 73 team also have Merv Rettenmund in his last year on the team and Tommy Davis was the DH.   So Earl, was rotating Bumbry and Coggins (the LH hitters) with Blair, Baylor, and Rettenmund (the RH hitters).   Pretty deep team but that was before Baylor became the hitter he became.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was, but even with your corrections I'm still confident that Coggins/Blair/Baylor played together more than Mateo/Mullins/Hays have. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

.469 BABIP.

Pump ye brakes. 

Wow, all those people that were penciling him in for a .350+ average sure have been put in their place!

Bottom line with Mateo and Urias is that you can squint and see them as a #8/#9 hitting second baseman on a decent team. And failing that, either could be an asset as a utility infielder / super utility player on a decent team.

Considering the dreck that the Orioles have rostered this season and are in some cases still rostering, that isn't anything to sneeze at.

18 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

And that makes sense because Baylor probably started in RF but had a terrible arm - and Bumbry must have been in LF.     

Baylor played almost exclusively in LF without even looking it up.   He had one of the worst arms ever even in LF.  Bumbry's was weak too but it was a cannon compared to Baylor's.   Coggins played CF and RF.   Blair, of course, played exclusively in CF when he played and that must mean that Rettenumd played most of his starts in RF.    Bumby played in LF and CF.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Wow, all those people that were penciling him in for a .350+ average sure have been put in their place!

Bottom line with Mateo and Urias is that you can squint and see them as a #8/#9 hitting second baseman on a decent team. And failing that, either could be an asset as a utility infielder / super utility player on a decent team.

Considering the dreck that the Orioles have rostered this season and are in some cases still rostering, that isn't anything to sneeze at.

Oh, hey, I didn't mean this as snarky as it probably sounded. My bad. Definitely not trying to put anyone in their place with that comment.

Honestly, I didn't read the whole thread, I just have been feeling like he's been pretty lucky and it turns out that's maybe true upon looking up the numbers. I've really enjoyed watching him and agree with everything you've said here. I'm really just reminding myself to not get too excited about his current hot streak. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Baylor played almost exclusively in LF without even looking it up.   He had one of the worst arms ever even in LF.  Bumbry's was weak too but it was a cannon compared to Baylor's.   Coggins played CF and RF.   Blair, of course, played exclusively in CF when he played and that must mean that Rettenumd played most of his starts in RF.    Bumby played in LF and CF.

Well, looking it up might be worthwhile.  According to Al Bumbry Stats | Baseball-Reference.com, Bumbry played a total of 33 games in his career in RF (29 of them in 1973), while Baylor played 200 career games in RF.  Rettenmund didn't have much of an arm either, but RF was his position more than LF, and he did 81 games in RF in 1973.  Fwiw, Bumbry had a very weak arm - just like Baylor - and very similar to Mullins of the current O's.