Angels in town with 21 losses in a row directly in the crosshairs.

Moose Milligan

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Hasnt been 100 years yet.

Did you forget Babe Ruth?

He was pitching through the 20s and even pitched 9 innings in 1930 and 1933.

No, I wasn’t forgetting Babe Ruth, but he became mainly a hitter And did not frequently pitch and hit in the same game. But if you wish, I could amend my statement from 100 years to 91 years.

https://radicalbaseball.blogspot.com/2018/04/how-much-did-babe-ruth-pitch-and-bat-at.html?m=1

Edited by Philip
Addendum

21 hours ago, fitzi22 said:

Other historic streaks to keep an eye on:

1961 Philadelphia Phillies 23 straight losses ( modern record). We can break this record on 8/29 in game 3 against Rays.

1889 Louisville Colonels 26 straight losses (all time MLB record).  We can break this record on 9/1 in game 3 against the Jays.

The record watch is on!

This brings back bitter memories that I seem to have suppressed for decades. In 1961 I was a nine-year-old in my fifth year as a Phillies fanatic (the other kind), and my fifth year of reading and hearing before the season started about how the Phillies would be an improving, younger team. I was away on a family trip for much of the streak, but every morning I would pick up the Omaha World Herald or the Kansas City Star to see that my guys had lost again. (Sometimes it took an extra day for the score and box score to reach me, and I would spend part of the day trying to find the score). I watched on TV or listened to practically every game, but I don't recall at all listening to the game they won. Until recent reading on the subject, I remembered only that it was on a Sunday. Turns out it was the second game of a Sunday double-header in Milwaukee, so it probably ended somewhere around dinner time on the East Coast. The end of the streak and the win over the Braves to break at are blanks in my memory. 

Much of the conversation among my neighborhood friends was about how bad the Phillies were -- especially my next-door neighbor, who had been raised as a Yankee fan. The Phillies were much better in 1962 (81-80), and had a real good OF of Johnny Callison, Tony Gonzalez and Wes Covington/Ted Savage, but by fall of 1962 I was an Orioles fan. My guess is I'll stay with them even if they break the Fightin' Phils' ignominious record.

I am now actively rooting for them to break the record. Why not?! I always thought if you're going to be real bad, just lean alllllllll the way in. Let's shoot for national embarrassment, let's have everyone write their snooty take-down articles and shrug aggressively ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, let's obliterate 0-21 for posterity, and let's get that #1 pick. It's interesting! I'm having fun watching this thing. It's putting everything to the test - Hyde's blood pressure, Elias having to answer hardball questions (loved his presser the other day, really interesting quotes in there), roster spots are up for grabs, there's DFA casualties everywhere. This is good, formative, healthy LOSING! Puts hair on your chest. It creates change and movement. If they win one to break the streak but then immediately go back to losing, what's the difference? The streak is more fun than that. 

:D 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Philip said:

No, I wasn’t forgetting Babe Ruth, but he became mainly a hitter And did not frequently pitch and hit in the same game. But if you wish, I could amend my statement from 100 years to 91 years.

Jeez.  You do know that they didn't have the DH in the 1920's and 30's right?  I mean, Babe Ruth hit in virtually every single game that he pitched.  Eventually, I expect Ohtani to have to primarily become a hitter as he ages, as well.

23 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

What??? In the Angels thread you had asked if anyone wanted the tix. Glad to see you came to your senses.

Ohtani may be the most exciting player in baseball. You might get to see a guy hit a HR, steal a base and also pitch at a high level.

Do the Angels not use the DH when Ohtani is pitching?  I thought they did?

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Jeez.  You do know that they didn't have the DH in the 1920's and 30's right?  I mean, Babe Ruth hit in virtually every single game that he pitched.  Eventually, I expect Ohtani to have to primarily become a hitter as he ages, as well.

Of course, but once he was traded to the Yankees, as the article says, he became a hitter.

20 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Hasnt been 100 years yet.

Did you forget Babe Ruth?

He was pitching through the 20s and even pitched 9 innings in 1930 and 1933.

Babe Ruth pitched 3 games in the last 100 years.   On in October 1921, one in 1930, and one in 1933.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ohtani is the greatest baseball player ever.

Not the most decorated.

Not the most accomplished.

Not the holder of the most records.

Not the biggest WAR accumulator.

Just the most talented and greatest player ever.  

Not sure, I can go there, yet. Been a lot of great baseball players over the long history of the game.