I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

Just now, Bradysburns said:

You could argue he's got no roster. And you'd be right. 

You could also argue he has no control over his team. There are no fundamentals. We look worse in that area than we did before Buck took over. 

Either way, I still don’t see what he’s done to deserve it. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Wasn't the 30-3 game almost the same day the manager got his extension announced?

Yep.

MacPhail extended Trembley's contract through the 2008 season,
with a club option for 2009. The announcement came Wednesday, but
Trembley received the news Saturday night in Toronto while having
dinner with MacPhail.

"I wanted to see how he'd react if we went through a tough
skid, and it really didn't happen. The team still played well,"
MacPhail said. "There comes a time when you've just got to get
yourself focused and give everybody an opportunity to get set for
'08 as best you can."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=2985947

Just now, waroriole said:

You could also argue he has no control over his team. There are no fundamentals. We look worse in that area than we did before Buck took over. 

Well, I haven't watched as many games this year as usual, so I'll take your word for it.

It's business. Whatever's best for the Orioles. So if we get a new manager who can take the baton the next mile... fine. 

But a manager carousel ain't gonna fix this roster.

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I like Hyde. Have you guys actually looked at the utter crap roster Elias has given him to work with? You talk about lack of fundamentals but it isn't Hyde making bonehead plays in the field. Name me one other club with talent this bad. There is none. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, waroriole said:

How has he earned it? He’s presiding over potentially the worst team in ML history and had a couple of other clunker years. It sounds like he’s got an option for next year. How is it possible to justify exercising that option in this scenario?

I feel the answer is in your question.  He maybe deserves a chance with talent which should be able to achieve something?   

If it would somehow be definable he is responsible for this level of play, then I would think otherwise.   But he’s been given this hand to play and it’s all low cards?  

I personally like Hyde and would like him to have a chance with a better quality team.  If the players are producing and the team is still losing then yea, he’s isn’t deserving in my opinion.  He has not been given that chance yet. 

Edit:  I also have not been watching much.   I’ve heard about the lack of fundamentals.   But often execution depends on the player and what said player is capable of.   

36 minutes ago, waroriole said:

How has he earned it? He’s presiding over potentially the worst team in ML history and had a couple of other clunker years. It sounds like he’s got an option for next year. How is it possible to justify exercising that option in this scenario?

I mean, the 1899 Cleveland Spiders were 20-134, so no not even close to the worst. 
They have to win 3 games the rest of the season to finish better than the 1962 Mets who finished 40-120. 
No chance he throws in the towel and I have said for the last two years he isn’t a MLB manager and won’t be the manager for the next winning team. I have a soft spot for the guy, but he is probably a bench coach. He seems to lack what it takes to be the general. 

• Upvote 1

Hyde is a bad manager. He has not shown he can motivate his guys, there’s no apparent penalty for lackadaisical play, and many other things. 
however, there’s no reason not to let him finish his contract. And no way will he resign. I don’t know his salary, but he’ll never get a better one.

I never had any particular faith in him, he’s just a fat guy with a beard. But every time I watch the video of him and Davis in the dugout, it looks like he ran away from Davis, right or wrong, that’s sure how it looks.

• Like 1

I’d like to see Buck Britton get a shot honestly. It makes sense to give him an audition for the next 2 years and then determine if we need to bring in a more experienced manager once we’re ready to compete. Hyde would probably do better in a different situation, but this is the one we have to offer and he just can’t do it. 

• Upvote 2

Although people resign from jobs all the time in the real world, it would be hard to imagine him resigning.  It isn't like he will ever be a big league manager again, so it isn't like resigning would hurt him from that standpoint.  It is just something managers don't do unless they have health reasons.  Now, I have to think he dreams of not being the manager of this team.  If only because we all get one go-around in this lifetime and I have to think most people want to at least be seen as good at the job they are in, which he isn't.  Or at least respected, which he isn't.  Hyde is the on the field face of the worst team in professional sports and I can't imagine that is good for his or anyone's morale.  There have to be better ways to live your one life.  Few people (relatively speaking) can say they were ever a major league manager, so there is that.  But he and the team are a complete joke and that has to hurt.....a lot.  So he may hope he is just let go after this year so that he can go be a bench coach or something with a team that actually wins games.  

• Upvote 1

The only way Elias gets rid of him is if Elias is feeling the heat, which he won't with the farm system gains to fall back on.  A new GM generally gets two HC's so why would we waste one before he even started trying to turn it around.

IF he gives Hyde resources next year (or perceived resources) and the team struggles then Hyde "resigns".  Elias says something about needing a veteran coach and brings in someone with some experience.

This songs been sung so many times in MLB its almost cliche.

Fair or not, Hyde and his staff shouldn't be comfortable with their 2022 retention. Most players regressed in 2021. And I don't care about vengeance for the 2021 season, I care about setting a new tone for 2022 and beyond with the commencement of our top prospects arriving in Baltimore. While there are some players that can bridge the two eras, I don't see that from the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 2