Who was your favorite Orioles non-superstar?

GotNitro

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Micky Tettleton,Todd Frohwirth, and Billy Ripken were my favorites growing up.

Also Sam Horn, Lenny Webster, Scott Erickson, John Maine, Sal Fasano, and Delino Deshields at various points over the years.

I also always wanted Gene Kingsale to do well.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe Mark Belanger hasn't been mentioned in this thread. He was absolutely unparalleled in the field. Amazing range and a cannon from short. And he always seemed to save his two HR's per year for the Yankees.

Maybe the best fielding shortstop the O's ever had...

Blair, Belanger.

They were like machines in the field. I never saw either one of them diving and falling over. Boring. Incredible. Very fun to watch in a very un-web-gem kind of way. The ball was hit, and was gonna be a hit but then, oops, one of those two was there waiting for it. The hitter would stand there near 1B and stare, like "How was that even possible?" The best part was reading the paper the next day, with sanitized quotes from the Bad Guys' manager talking about how he just *hated* seeing those guys take the field because it just wasn't fair. When Belanger would go way, way into the hole to backhand one that Brooks couldn't get, he had a very pretty grab-leap-spinaround-in-midair-and-throw move, but it looked easy. Unlike Brooks, his throws to Boog didn't bounce, they'd pop into his mitt. Blair would just get there before the ball did. Earl fussed at him for playing too shallow, told him to play deeper. Blair told Earl to leave him alone until after somebody hit one over hid head. AFAIK, it never happened. It was hilarious when he'd field a very shallow single and throw the guy out at 1B. The rest of the team would each cover their mouth with their glove to hide the laughing.

Russ Snyder.

Perfectly competent OF'er. Never made you regret he was there. Sign-stealer supreme.

Pete Richert.

Dunno why. Senators' star SP, obtained in a trade, instantly converted to the BP w/ no whining.

I can't believe Mark Belanger hasn't been mentioned in this thread. He was absolutely unparalleled in the field. Amazing range and a cannon from short. And he always seemed to save his two HR's per year for the Yankees.

Maybe the best fielding shortstop the O's ever had...

Definitely, not maybe.

Maybe the best fielding shortstop anybody ever had.

• 7 years later...
Old#5fan said:

Any of you remember a guy named Sam Bowens? As a kid, I saw him mash a ball in Memorial Stadium that missed going completely out of the ballpark in left field by two rows of bleachers. So of course at that age, he was one of my favorites, and since I batted L-Hed, I liked Curt Blefary.

I also had a couple of relief pitchers that were my favorites: Eddie Watt (with his big chaw of tobacco was cool), and I always liked Stu Miller, Moe Drabowsky (who can ever forget his performance mowing down the Dodgers in Game One of the 1966 World Series), and another more obscure reliever named Pete Reichert, who I am pretty sure they got in a trade with the Senators.

o

The late Sam Bowens was born in this day, in 1938.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

In December, Hal Brown died at the age of 91, 6 days after his birthday.

Brown was inducted into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame in 1991.

Brown led the American League in WHIP in 1960 while pitching for the Orioles, and was with the club for 7 and-a-half years (1955-1962.)

o

o

In December, Hal Brown died at the age of 91, 6 days after his birthday.

Brown was inducted into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame in 1991.

Brown led the American League in WHIP in 1960 while pitching for the Orioles, and was with the club for 7 and-a-half years (1955-1962.)

RIP, Skinny. One of my earliest favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived