A tale of two at bats

Frobby

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

.211/.263/.611 vs RHP with the hot streak. And we have a bunch of lefty OFs in the pipeline. 

In his pre-2021 big league time, Hays had a .301/.348/.454 slash line vs. RHP in  201 PA.    This year it’s .211/.263/.348 in 243 PA.   I’d agree it’s something to keep an eye on, but because of his prior track record vs. RHP I wouldn’t be too quick to conclude he can’t hit RHP.

In the minors he hit .270/.306/.491 vs. RHP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In his pre-2021 big league time, Hays had a .301/.348/.454 slash line vs. RHP in  201 PA.    This year it’s .211/.263/.348 in 243 PA.   I’d agree it’s something to keep an eye on, but because of his prior track record vs. RHP I wouldn’t be too quick to conclude he can’t hit RHP.

In the minors he hit .270/.306/.491 vs. RHP.

For sure, I am not concluding anything. But it is a fact he has done poorly this year and has come off the bench vs RHP's four times in the last couple weeks. Aside from his hit streak the longer term trend line isn't good. I hope he proves me wrong but I just see who we have in the pipeline.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For sure, I am not concluding anything. But it is a fact he has done poorly this year and has come off the bench vs RHP's four times in the last couple weeks. Aside from his hit streak the longer term trend line isn't good. I hope he proves me wrong but I just see who we have in the pipeline.

So long as the end result is good, I don’t mind some platooning.   Gary Roenicke managed a 15.4 rWAR career despite platooning with John Lowenstein for a long time.   I think Hays will show he can hit RHP much better than he has this year, but if not, it’s nice that we have some good LH hitting outfielders in the pipeline.   

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So long as the end result is good, I don’t mind some platooning.   Gary Roenicke managed a 15.4 rWAR career despite platooning with John Lowenstein for a long time.   I think Hays will show he can hit RHP much better than he has this year, but if not, it’s nice that we have some good LH hitting outfielders in the pipeline.   

Absolutely, he should have every opportunity to succeed right now. Worst case scenario we have a lefty masher who can also come in and catch the ball. Geronimo Berroa was one of my favorite players on the '97 team and he didn't even need to play defense to be useful.