Rat in Stands

Pickles

38 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Lew Ford is an OH joke from many years ago.  I believe it started when he was in the minors and tearing the cover off the ball.  But we didn't promote him to the bigs for a long time.  This lead to jokes surrounding how he must be a bad person and it went from there.  I believe that's how it started, though other OH's can correct me if I'm off on that.

Lew Ford had some pretty good years with the Twins. After that, he'd been out of organized ball for a few years when we picked him up in 2012. His play for the Orioles was disappointing, though not terrible. He was -- believe it or not -- criticized here for something or other, maybe leaving men on base in a key situation or misplaying a ball or two in the outfield. A poster saw the probably-exaggerated criticism of Ford and asked something like "What's with all the hating on Lew Ford?"

That hating didn't exist, so it had to be made up -- and Lew Ford became, for no good reason, evil incarnate. Ford was gone after just 25 games in 2012, but since then he's probably been blamed for everything bad about the Orioles from Buck using Ubaldo in Toronto to the Chris Davis contract.  

That's how I remember it, anyhow,

• Thanks 1

I have a friend who used to work part-time as a vendor at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia.

He told me one time that he was sent to get popcorn, which was kept in great big bags in a storage room.  When he opened the door to the storage room, he had to stand and wait a bit while the rats scurried around to hide from the light.

Anyone thinking hard about the last time they got popcorn at Camden Yards?  ?  

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Do  you mean Tell me the Baltimore city has rats? God forbid.  For someone who went to school there for three years, it’s a wonder that the rats don’t take over that stadium. I don’t understand the lew Ford comment.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Lew Ford is an old inside joke here.

This is not true...

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Lew Ford had some pretty good years with the Twins. After that, he'd been out of organized ball for a few years when we picked him up in 2012. His play for the Orioles was disappointing, though not terrible. He was -- believe it or not -- criticized here for something or other, maybe leaving men on base in a key situation or misplaying a ball or two in the outfield. A poster saw the probably-exaggerated criticism of Ford and asked something like "What's with all the hating on Lew Ford?"

That hating didn't exist, so it had to be made up -- and Lew Ford became, for no good reason, evil incarnate. Ford was gone after just 25 games in 2012, but since then he's probably been blamed for everything bad about the Orioles from Buck using Ubaldo in Toronto to the Chris Davis contract.  

This is Hollywood rewrite.

These are just some of the facts:

Lew Ford personally caused Raffygate, gave Tejada the "B-12" needles, stepped on a chalk foul line the day in 2007 when Dave Trembley was given the the full time job while the Orioles were leading 3-0. And he personally convinced Peter Angelos to circle back to Chris Davis AND also convinced Buck Showalter to "save" Britton until the O's had the lead in '16. Britton finished the year with 47 Saves, got traded in 17 and in 18 the Orioles won 47 games....All because of Lew Ford.

Some say he invented Spyder Tack, but I don't want to spread rumors.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

He also was an agent of Cito in the Mussina all star game, believe it or not