This choking bullpen is killing me

Frobby

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

With tonight’s blown save, the Orioles bullpen now has a sub-50% save rate on the season (22/45).    You want to know why this team is worse than we thought they’d be?   Look no further than that.   

I really thought Wells was going to be the guy with the stuff and disposition to close.   And maybe he still will be.   But seeing him blow his second straight opportunity was extremely disheartening.   Last time he just didn’t have it, but I think tonight game down to having lost confidence from the last outing.   You just cannot come in with a one-run lead and walk the leadoff hitter.  Kind’ve tough luck to have it start raining and Gardner’s hit was underwhelming, but still, the walk set up the whole mess.   

I wonder how many of those blown saves resulted in losses. While the inability to hold the lead on the rare occasions when we're ahead late in a close game drives me crazy, triply so when it gives the NYYs a win, to me it's not nearly as big a factor in the team's terrible record as the woeful starting pitching (when Means isn't pitching). A bunch of the blown saves come from guys we won't be seeing any more (Plutko and Valdez). 

Wells wasn't hit hard last night. A single and that stupid bloop. The problems were the lead-off walk and Wells' inability to get the third strike on Gardner. Some bad umpiring hurt, too. What bothers me about the relief situation is that I'd hoped that by the end of the season we'd have a better idea who might close (or, more accurately, be the reliever in the highest-leverage situations) for the next couple of years. Wells? Sulser? Tate? I feel like the Orioles don't know any more about that than they did two months ago. I don't, anyhow.

I've never understood why you automatically bring the infield in when you're the home team, there are less than two outs, and a ground ball with the infield back will give up the tying run, but a hit between (or over) the drawn-in infielders will lead to both the tying and go-ahead runs. That might be the right move, especially when you have some real bad hitters due up in the bottom of the inning and no ability to pinch hit, as was the case last night. But that factor cuts both ways: if you give up both runs, those weak hitters will be facing Chapman, and you saw what that looks like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Wells' inability to get the third strike on Gardner. Some bad umpiring hurt, too.

That WAS a strike. The Umpire is a NY fan or something and didn’t give it to him. I made a screen shot of that pitch which was solid low center of the zone. I wish I could share it here but seems you can’t post your own photos. It was a Terrible call

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I've never understood why you automatically bring the infield in when you're the home team, there are less than two outs, and a ground ball with the infield back will give up the tying run, but a hit between (or over) the drawn-in infielders will lead to both the tying and go-ahead runs. That might be the right move, especially when you have some real bad hitters due up in the bottom of the inning and no ability to pinch hit, as was the case last night. But that factor cuts both ways: if you give up both runs, those weak hitters will be facing Chapman, and you saw what that looks like.

Hyde isn’t good.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think the bullpen has just been so taxed this year that it’s really hard to even evaluate guys. 

Let me make it clear that I want us to have the #1 overall pick. So I don’t care about letting some retread relievers help gets us there. 

However, there is hope for next year,

Bautista, Wells, Scott, Sulser, Fry, Burdi, Tate, Fry, Lopez and Harvey. Mix in some of the failed SP and we should have a much improved BP. 

A bullpen can only do so well with a terrible rotation. 

The bullpen has been taxed as a unit, but individual members have not been particularly taxed.   Nobody in the entire bullpen has thrown 60 innings.   So I don’t feel that workload is an excuse for any individual pitcher.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The bullpen has been taxed as a unit, but individual members have not been particularly taxed.   Nobody in the entire bullpen has thrown 60 innings.   So I don’t feel that workload is an excuse for any individual pitcher.   

I think that underscores that the management has been relatively good in the sense that they have managed work loads.  The problem is that too few of the pitchers have pitched well.

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tyler Wells

Cole Sulser

Tanner Scott

Felix Bautista

Ofelky Peralta

Kyle Bradish

Michael Baumann

Zach Burdi

Paul Fry

There are some pieces to put together a bullpen with potential.  How would it do next season is another question.

Conor Greene and Lopez too. Maybe Hunter Harvey for 20 innings. Would be nice to have a dependable veteran to build around though. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tyler Wells

Cole Sulser

Tanner Scott

Felix Bautista

Ofelky Peralta

Kyle Bradish

Michael Baumann

Zach Burdi

Paul Fry

There are some pieces to put together a bullpen with potential.  How would it do next season is another question.

They need to add two veteran relievers who can get hitters out and push some of these guys to AAA.

Agree with adding Greene and Lopez to the list.