The O’s draft philosophy and economic principles

Frobby

I think it's the only way to go for a small to mid market team. All you have to do is look at the endless list of failed pitching prospects over the last 20 years and then look at the hitters that have been developed in the system. Not that there's been enough hitters developed but they've been a lot more successful with that than the pitching. I think we will see more pitchers drafted and drafted higher once the lineup is more solidified. 

I have no issues with their draft strategy outside of I think they should be grabbing more overslots, especially in this last draft, and I think they need to do more of BPA but again, we are only talking about a few picks there.

BUT, I have zero issues with loading up on bats.  

The question is can they turn the depth in bats into pitching from other teams.  

Again, we have zero idea if Elias is a good major league GM.  He has done very little to show he can be that guy so far, not that he has been allowed much opportunity to do it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I have no issues with their draft strategy outside of I think they should be grabbing more overslots, especially in this last draft, and I think they need to do more of BPA but again, we are only talking about a few picks there.

BUT, I have zero issues with loading up on bats.  

The question is can they turn the depth in bats into pitching from other teams.  

Again, we have zero idea if Elias is a good major league GM.  He has done very little to show he can be that guy so far, not that he has been allowed much opportunity to do it.

I agree, we need to see if he's a good major league GM.  IMO, these next two years will be where the rubber meets the road in that regard:  can he sign some good FA talent?  Can he pull the trigger on some impactful trades?

In regards to the OP and your post, I don't have a huge issue with them loading up on bats, although I have said I would have liked to have seen more arms drafted.  However, I'm assuming they have a plan in place to acquire them.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, we need to see if he's a good major league GM.  IMO, these next two years will be where the rubber meets the road in that regard:  can he sign some good FA talent?  Can he pull the trigger on some impactful trades?

In regards to the OP and your post, I don't have a huge issue with them loading up on bats, although I have said I would have liked to have seen more arms drafted.  However, I'm assuming they have a plan in place to acquire them.

From what I heard, I don't think they will be spending much on FAs and not likely taking on big contracts in trades.  

I think we need to hope to find another Chen or someone like that.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

And I think they believe that (1) it’s harder to identify and develop successful pitchers, and (2) even if you do everything right, many pitchers get derailed by injury.  

I think this is the key. Doesn't really reflect on the strengths/weaknesses of the organization as much as the inherent risk of pitchers. If you have a position player with about the same upside but much less risk, draft the position player, then buy or trade for pitching when the time comes. So it is also a "best player available" rather "fill holes" drafting strategy. 

I still think it's hard to determine exactly how much their strategy in recent drafts is due to the effects of COVID on the high school and college players and seasons and how much is a deliberate, long-term strategy that will continue post-COVID.  Any conclusions that we make now will be based on incomplete information.

• Upvote 2

Great post, but it does beg the question: why are certain organizations like Cleveland and Tampa basically pitching factories?  Some must be luck, but I'd think -- being hardly knowledgeable in the area -- there has to be people at those organizations that are just better than everyone else at finding it and developing pitching.  

• Upvote 2