Should the O's be considering 3B/2B Josh Harrison this off season?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because Correa has a history of injury issues and is likely to get a 10+ year deal.  I am not interested in that.

Part of the reason I want Bryant is the hope that the deal is for lesser years.  I guess you could argue that I would have the player for the same ages and that's valid but I know that Bryant can handle third well and play the OF well right now and likely could transition to first eventually if needs be.  I can't say I know those things for Correa.

But the bigger deal for me are the injury issues for Correa.  He has been healthy recently and that's obviously huge but prior to the shortened 2020 season, I was a real problem for him.

Good catch. The injuries are a concern.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather win 1-2 more games next year without costing us long term than win 3-4 more games next year while possibly crippling us long term and compromising the rebuild. If you're going to open the checkbook this year, I'd rather do one of the elite SS's than a guy who is already playing below replacement level 3B. Bryant just seems like the worst of both worlds.

Ok, not much of what you are saying here is factually right or making a lot of sense.  

Tell me what about Bryant makes him a worse play than the SS available?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, not much of what you are saying here is factually right or making a lot of sense.  

Tell me what about Bryant makes him a worse play than the SS available?

As I said, below replacement level defense already. He's 29 vs Correa who is 26. I just see him declining faster and less likely to help us during our actual window which is a couple years away. 

Watching a lot of Pirates games I have to say that I LOVE Josh Harrison as a player. I always have since he came up in their system. The stats are always alright, not usually going to blow you away, but the heart and hustle are always top 5 in the league.

Harrison exudes positive energy.  He's a great teammate.  I would be totally on board with this.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As I said, below replacement level defense already. He's 29 vs Correa who is 26. I just see him declining faster and less likely to help us during our actual window which is a couple years away. 

Where do you see that his defense is below replacement level?  UZR and UZR/150 disagrees with that. OOA agrees with that I see.

Correa just turned 27.  But sure, he's obviously much younger.  He also figures to get a much larger contract and has a much worse injury history.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Where do you see that his defense is below replacement level?  UZR and UZR/150 disagrees with that. OOA agrees with that I see.

Correa just turned 27.  But sure, he's obviously much younger.  He also figures to get a much larger contract and has a much worse injury history.

Was going by bbref and the fact he is already playing 1B/OF. 

SG,

If Elias spends this off season I think it will be on pitching.  One or two starters and one or two relievers.

With Westburg, Gunnar,  Mayo,  Ortiz, Varva, Grenier all coming over the next couple of years I don't see Elias signing any infielder for more that two years max. Some of what you are talking about will take more than that to sign in FA.

Stopgap infielders are more likely IMO this off season.

I don't see Bryant on the O's radar.  He would require a long term commitment for a 30 year old  and would go completely against the strategy Elias is trying to achieve.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Was going by bbref and the fact he is already playing 1B/OF. 

He’s been playing the OF.  That’s not really a reflection of him at third imo.  

Different stats have him below and some have him above.  End of the day, I don’t think he hurts you at third defensively.  

And maybe if you just put him in one position and stopped moving him around, his defense would be better.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s been playing the OF.  That’s not really a reflection of him at third imo.  

Different stats have him below and some have him above.  End of the day, I don’t think he hurts you at third defensively.  

And maybe if you just put him in one position and stopped moving him around, his defense would be better.

I'm not committing long term $20M+ per year for "maybe" at age 30,

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

SG,

If Elias spends this off season I think it will be on pitching.  One or two starters and one or two relievers.

With Westburg, Gunnar,  Mayo,  Ortiz, Varva, Grenier all coming over the next couple of years I don't see Elias signing any infielder for more that two years max. Some of what you are talking about will take more than that to sign in FA.

Stopgap infielders will more likely IMO this off season.

I don't see Bryant on the O's radar.  He would require a long term commitment for a 30 year old  and would go completely against the strategy he is trying to achieve.

I agree…but you asked me what we should do.

I followed that up with a post about how I do think a guy like Harrison is likely..because I don’t believe the team does what they should do.  I think it’s more of the same.  It’s more bad players, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and going from there.

Kris Bryant would be the worst signing out of any of them big names out there. Why on Earth would the O's commit 150+ mil to a guy who already has practically no defensive value and is declining at the plate as well? The O's should be targeting guys who can play SS for the near future and who will have the bat/athleticism to play third as they age. Bryant is already a corner OF.....

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Kris Bryant would be the worst signing out of any of them big names out there. Why on Earth would the O's commit 150+ mil to a guy who already has practically no defensive value and is declining at the plate as well? The O's should be targeting guys who can play SS for the near future and who will have the bat/athleticism to play third as they age. Bryant is already a corner OF.....

Agree. Bryant is going to be a huuuuge regret for some team out there.