What’s your OPS and WAR/162 prediction for Rutschman next year?

Frobby

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

6.3 rWAR/162.

Really?

That low?

Looks like he's at 3.4 rWAR over 69 games.  I would have thought that would put him well over 7 over a full season.  Is he not playing everyday?

Anyway, asking that a player lead his position is a bit unfair to a catcher since the top player at positions like outfielder and shortstop tend to produce more WAR than catchers.  At a quick glance at some of the other 1-1 guys in recent history they have a decent record of hitting the 5 WAR mark as a rookie which, for a catcher, might very well be good enough.

Players like Franco, Acuna and Harper were pretty darn good from day one.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Really?

That low?

Looks like he's at 3.4 rWAR over 69 games.  I would have thought that would put him well over 7 over a full season.  Is he not playing everyday?

He’s missed a game here and there, and then he missed 12 consecutive in September.   So, he’s played in 69 of 88 games since his call-up.   The way I defined rWAR/162 in the OP, it had to do with the number of team games after a call-up, not individual games played.   So, by that measure, he’s at 6.3 per 162.  If it were done based on the games Franco played, he’d be right at 8.0.   

On 10/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Really?

That low?

Anyway, asking that a player lead his position is a bit unfair to a catcher since the top player at positions like outfielder and shortstop tend to produce more WAR than catchers.  At a quick glance at some of the other 1-1 guys in recent history they have a decent record of hitting the 5 WAR mark as a rookie which, for a catcher, might very well be good enough.

Players like Franco, Acuna and Harper were pretty darn good from day one.

Parenthetically, I’m not sure why rWAR loves Franco so much.  I mean, an .810 OPS is good for a shortstop, but it’s nothing amazing.   Yet his oWAR is 3.0 in 70 games played.   That doesn’t compute for me.   I guess it’s because Tampa is such a pitcher-friendly ballpark (.810 OPS = 129 OPS+).   Semiren’s OPS was .873 but that only gets him to 133 OPS+, a few ticks better than Franco.