Trevor Bauer

sevastras

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

I mean, Heimlich pled guilty.  He is, in fact, a criminal.

Yes, as I understand it he pled guilty to a lesser charge on the advice of his attorney, but he received deferred adjudication, and the record was supposed to be sealed, and someone leaked it to the public. His own contention is that he is innocent but he followed the advice of his attorney. I don’t know the full story, But it does seem like he got a raw deal. 

edit: However, regardless of the Heimlich situation, Bauer is not guilty of anything, And I’m not sure whether he has even been indicted for anything. Certainly what I know of the available evidence, which admittedly is not much, the woman who is accusing him made several text messages to him that contradict her claim.

I’m not Mormon, but one of the tenants of the Mormon faith is to avoid “the appearance of evil” and what that means to the secular folks is just to stay out of potentially problematic situations.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with either guy. I wish people would really try to refrain from declaring guilt on the basis of accusation. There’s a long distance between being a jerk and being a criminal and too many people are eager to span the gap on the basis of too little.

In the case of Bauer, some of the things he (or his lawyer) has freely admitted to in his own defense are pretty bad.   Correct me if I am wrong, but he has admitted to having sex with her while she was unconscious and punching her in [her personal region] badly enough to significantly bruise.   His defense is that she liked, wanted, and asked for these things.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In the case of Bauer, some of the things he (or his lawyer) has freely admitted to in his own defense are pretty bad.   Correct me if I am wrong, but he has admitted to having sex with her while she was unconscious and punching her in [her personal region] badly enough to significantly bruise.   His defense is that she liked, wanted, and asked for these things.

Yes, and I don’t defend those actions, but they are not criminal. As a matter fact my only point is that No one should assume he’s guilty

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m not Mormon, but one of the tenants of the Mormon faith is to avoid “the appearance of evil” and what that means to the secular folks is just to stay out of potentially problematic situations.

“The appearance of evil is evil. “ meaning to pretend to smoke is as bad as smoking. Or the optics of hanging out with someone’s wife alone is the same as having an affair. So yes, just avoid questionable situations or people. 

My biggest problem with him is his own teammates don’t like him. If his teammates liked him or he was more of the Dennis Rodman type, I might say go for it. Bauer also claims he can use the legal stuff almost as well as spyder tack and showed proof of it in a game interview by hold his hand up with a ball stuck to his palm. So if that is indeed the case, he can still pitch effectively. 

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, and I don’t defend those actions, but they are not criminal. As a matter fact my only point is that No one should assume he’s guilty

But add that to all the other stuff he is well known for, including all the online bullying and at least one other suspected incident of abuse.  It's not just one thing that's come out -- it's multiple things.  Bauer might play again, but I'd think only the near contender teams most desperate for starting pitching (maybe the Padres) would likely even entertain offering him a contract.

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why would the Dodgers pay all that money to get rid of him.  I'm sure people in Baltimore are more conservative than people in L.A.  Don't really want him anyway.  How would he react if the O's were going to lose 100 games next year with him on the team.?  I don't think you want to find out. 

If they cut him, which is very very possible. They would be on the hook for his entire contract minus what another team is willing to pay him, which would be league minimum because they don’t have to pay him anything more. 

I wouldn't be thrilled if they got Bauer.  But I also wouldn't hate it.  I'm tired of the Orioles being bad.  I don't care if they win the World Series with 25 psychopaths.  Just win.  I don't have to root for a team full of saints (and I don't believe I do right now).

Long ago, I stopped looking at athletes for moral guidance.  And if he's playing baseball again, I'm assuming he's been found not guilty.

That said, I'm getting the feeling that he'll never play again.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right?  I mean, if they're not criminal what is he under investigation for?

There’s a difference between, “he performed a criminal act” and “he is accused of having performed a criminal act.” It’s not rocket science and legal procedures in the United States require a lot of things to happen before one can accurately make the first statement. 
I am not endorsing or excusing any of the things that he admits to having done. But again, whether he performed a criminal act remains to be seen. And that’s just the way it is

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

There’s a difference between, “he performed a criminal act” and “he is accused of having performed a criminal act.” It’s not rocket science and legal procedures in the United States require a lot of things to happen before one can accurately make the first statement. 
I am not endorsing or excusing any of the things that he admits to having done. But again, whether he performed a criminal act remains to be seen. And that’s just the way it is

What?

No, weirdo, it's a criminal act.  IT IS A CRIMINAL ACT.  Whether he did it or not is what is being investigated.  THE ACT IS CRIMINAL.  

And that's just the way it is.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What?

No, weirdo, it's a criminal act.  IT IS A CRIMINAL ACT.  Whether he did it or not is what is being investigated.  THE ACT IS CRIMINAL.  

And that's just the way it is.

I don’t know all the details of what Bauer is being accused of, and frankly, I recoil from reading that kind of stuff.  I’ll just say that the standard for convicting someone of a crime and subjecting them to criminal punishment is not necessarily the same as the standard for giving someone the privilege of playing for your baseball team.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

These things you cite are not crimes if you have consent from the person to strike her in such a way. Depraved as they may be, and shocking to the masses, some people actually do enjoy these things.