Rooting for Arizona?

Robh21223

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean like in the COVID shortened 5 round draft where they got Mayo in the 4th round with the savings they got from getting Kjerstad instead of Austin Martin? Who would you rather have in the system right now? Martin, who slashed just  .270/.414/.382/.796 with the same power and defensive concerns (under .900 fld PCT at SS) or Mayo and Kjerstad? 

Yes. And it didn’t have to be Austin Martin…a top pitcher would have been nice even if all of the top pitchers from that draft haven’t had the same level of success so far as Mayo. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad to see Mayo hitting well, especially since Kjerstad is a big question mark (glad to see he’s resumed baseball activities). My point is it’s not an approach I like and thus it doesn’t matter to me whether the O’s have the first or second pick of the draft because they probably won’t take the best player available. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean like in the COVID shortened 5 round draft where they got Mayo in the 4th round with the savings they got from getting Kjerstad instead of Austin Martin? Who would you rather have in the system right now? Martin, who slashed just  .270/.414/.382/.796 with the same power and defensive concerns (under .900 fld PCT at SS) or Mayo and Kjerstad? 

Assuming Martin would have signed for the same ~7M you probably could have managed to sign both him and Mayo if you don't draft Baumler and go over your allotment instead of leaving pool money unspent.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Assuming Martin would have signed for the same ~7M you probably could have managed to sign both him and Mayo if you don't draft Baumler and go over your allotment instead of leaving pool money unspent.

Perhaps in a year we can ask who would you rather have, Martin and Mayo, or Kjerstad, Mayo, and Baumler.

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would prefer the 1:1 but the 1:2 isn't the end of the world. At least that extra win against Boston came on the back of good pitching and a clutch home run by Mountcastle. If that win costs us the pick, then so be it.

I also agree with this.  I'm happy to play spoiler if we don't end up with the 1st pick.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Perhaps in a year we can ask who would you rather have, Martin and Mayo, or Kjerstad, Mayo, and Baumler.

Sure.

But keep in mind I wasn't dead set on Martin.

The unfortunate circumstances with Kjerstad's health are probably going to make it really hard to judge that draft.  Even if he comes back and plays well we will never know how the illness has impacted him long term.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

But keep in mind I wasn't dead set on Martin.

The unfortunate circumstances with Kjerstad's health are probably going to make it really hard to judge that draft.  Even if he comes back and plays well we will never know how the illness has impacted him long term.

Okay, Asa Lacy and Mayo compared to the other 3, in 7 years.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mick Abel was my pick. 

I want the Os to have 1:1 next year and I want Elijah Green to be the next Ken Griffey Jr going into that 1:1. If the Os have 1:2, I would like it not to be as clear and definitive at 1:1. 

14 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This year is way better than 2018 even if the record isn't much better at the end of the season. We had no idea what was going to happen with the 2018 zombie Orioles. Who was going to the the GM and manager in the future? Remember it was a very real fear that Brady Anderson could have taken over the ship and led the rebuild. ?☠️

Even if there is still dysfunction in how the Orioles operate credit still has to go to the Angelos brothers for hiring a GM who was employed in an organization that had a successful rebuild. Even if Elias fails in turning around the Orioles at least the team went into a new direction and started emulating (to a degree) what successful teams are doing today. 

At a minimum the Orioles now have a group of promising young prospects on the horizon ready to join the team over the next couple years. The one thing that has to happen if the O's are going to be above .500 in 2023 is they have to add in veteran talent through free agency and trades to supplement the younger players.

I agree with the first two paragraphs; but as for the need for veterans, I'm not so sure. If our crop of new stars matures quickly with steady progress, I'd be content with sticking with them for an extra year or two. Never did like the free agency model as much as the homegrown model, for sentimental reasons. Then again, hard to say no the the import of a F. Robby, a Singleton, a Robbie Alomar or Jimmy Key, and yes, even Palmeiro and Tejada. Of course, there were more than our share of failed saviors along the way too, which caused not only disappointments but lost draft picks and devastating budget losses. And then again, bad contracts were doled out to plenty of our "own" fading stars too. To cut this ramble short, I'll just reiterate, "Let the Kids Play!"

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I live in New England. Red Sox fans are the worst. I think I would rather have the second pick and knock the Red Sox out of the playoffs 

I have to admit I was rooting for the O's to get the #1 pick.  The joy I feel knowing the anguish inflicted on Red Sox fans everywhere makes me happy.  This has shades of 2011.  Its like the team is starting to believe.  Could this be a turning point to a drastically better team (of course with additions from minors and free agents. 

• Downvote 1

2022 MLB Draft Order

Pick Team Record Win% GB Streak L10

1 52-110 .321 -- Lost 3 4-6

2 52-110 .321 -- Won 2 4-6

3 60-102 .370 8.0 Lost 1 5-5

4 61-101 .377 9.0 Lost 1 4-6

5 65-97 .401 13.0 Lost 5 2-8

6 67-95 .414 15.0 Won 2 3-7

7 71-91 .438 19.0 Won 2 4-6

8 73-89 .451 21.0 Won 2 6-4

9 74-88 .457 22.0 Lost 2 5-5