Clearing Roster space, October

Philip

On 10/30/2021 at 10:44 AM, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I have zero expectations for Hunter Harvey anymore, but, if he was DFA'd by another team, he's the kind of arm I'd be happy to see the Orioles get and stash on the 40-man.

Now I haven't done the full analysis of the 40-man with regard to players who need to be protected yet (busy with prospect stuff obviously), but I just don't see him as a guy you just dump unless it comes down to obsoletely needing a spot.

Do I expect Hunter Harvey to be in the pen next year? Based off his inability to stay healthy I'd say no, but I also know he has the capability to be an effective reliever so in the off chance he can finally stay healthy, that's one less arm to find and he's cheap and controllable.

I understand your thoughts, and I agree with most everything. To me, he is like having a Corvette, but I can’t afford to buy gas. Looks great in the driveway, but it doesn’t take me anywhere.

If they had DFA’d Hunter last Winter and kept Pop, we would have brought out the pitch forks. But would it have been a better outcome in hindsight? Sulser is the name many here bemoaned keeping over Pop, but he was actually a productive reliever in 2021. Just to throw out a name or two that may actually be more productive than Hunter, I like Krehbiel and Greene better. Yet many want to see them DFA’d. 

I know we have an attachment to what little flashes he has shown. But if keeping him costs us a guy who works out well and sticks with another team, and Hunter ends up on the 60 IL again, IDK. I guess to keep him, if I were Mike Elias, I would have to be certain that hunting isn’t more important to him than his workout and throwing programs.