Glutton for punishment: comparing 2018, 2019 and 2021

Frobby

37 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Also, DL Hall.

I’m counting on DL Hall next year about as much as I’m counting on Hunter Harvey.   He’s had trouble staying healthy, and has a whopping 31.2 innings of AA under his belt.   Granted, he looked very good in those games, but I see him starting in AA again and then maybe getting a promotion to AAA after 1-2 months if he’s dominating.   Maybe he gets some major league time at the end of the year, but more likely, they just try to keep him healthy for 100 minor league innings and then pencil him in for 2023.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m counting on DL Hall next year about as much as I’m counting on Hunter Harvey.   He’s had trouble staying healthy, and has a whopping 31.2 innings of AA under his belt.   Granted, he looked very good in those games, but I see him starting in AA again and then maybe getting a promotion to AAA after 1-2 months if he’s dominating.   Maybe he gets some major league time at the end of the year, but more likely, they just try to keep him healthy for 100 minor league innings and then pencil him in for 2023.   

I think he should be capable of starting in AAA.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not "counting" on DL Hall, or Grayson Rodriguez for that matter.  Have seen too many busts on the pitching side.  But I anticipate that DL Hall will be a very good MLB starting pitcher, possibly a dominant one.  

If you believe in the theory that there are only so many pitches in a pitchers arm and with the injury issues Hall has had, why waste time with him at a level he likely is too good for?

Put him in AAA, make sure he is healthy and performing and then get him up.  

I don’t have any faith in him to stay healthy and log enough innings as a starter but his upside is tremendous if he can in fact stay healthy.  So why wait?

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If you believe in the theory that there are only so many pitches in a pitchers arm and with the injury issues Hall has had, why waste time with him at a level he likely is too good for?

I don’t have any faith in him to stay healthy and log enough innings as a starter but his upside is tremendous if he can in fact stay healthy.  So why wait?

I would love to see it, but doubt that we do. Starting him in AAA is possible, but him getting called up reasonably quickly thereafter seems unlikely. I don't expect anything more than a possible spot start, cup of coffee at most, particularly as they watch his innings very closely. That said, I would love to see him get a handful or big league starts and the Orioles, in general, to take a more aggressive approach with the prospects. That would indicate that we are in a new phase of the rebuild where major league success matters and we are looking to take a noticeable step forward. 

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I would love to see it, but doubt that we do. Starting him in AAA is possible, but him getting called up reasonably quickly thereafter seems unlikely. I don't expect anything more than a possible spot start, cup of coffee at most, particularly as they watch his innings very closely. That said, I would love to see him get a handful or big league starts and the Orioles, in general, to take a more aggressive approach with the prospects. That would indicate that we are in a new phase of the rebuild where major league success matters and we are looking to take a noticeable step forward. 

He should start in AAA and be in the majors by the AS break.

I think that is possible but obviously other factors exist.

That's the kind of move you make when you're in contention, not coming off 100+ losses in the last three full seasons. The Orioles should be in no hurry with DL Hall or any of these prospects. I know everybody's tired of losing but they signed up for this plan and, for now,  they need to stick with it. 

35 minutes ago, vab said:

That's the kind of move you make when you're in contention, not coming off 100+ losses in the last three full seasons. The Orioles should be in no hurry with DL Hall or any of these prospects. I know everybody's tired of losing but they signed up for this plan and, for now,  they need to stick with it. 

No one is "in a hurry" with Hall.  He was drafted in 2017.  He's 23.  This will be his 5th full year after being drafted.  He's been dominant every step of the way.  He's not a finished product by any means, especially with the high BB rate, but that can be improved upon at the MLB level as well as at the MiLB level.

If healthy, there's no reason he shouldn't start 2022 in AAA and be up shortly after Rodriguez.  Unless the Orioles are going for the #1 pick again next year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I generally do agree with the “so many pitches” theory.   I’m just not confident he’s ready, plus you know his innings will be severely restricted.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I generally do agree with the “so many pitches” theory.   I’m just not confident he’s ready, plus you know his innings will be severely restricted.  

Sure..and I agree 100ish innings is a likely target.  I would be ok if they just shut him down at the end of August/early September. (Early September is usually when the MiL season ends anyway)

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the player is not a top prospect, having a pulse and being able to throw the ball in the vicinity of the place suffices.

For a top prospect, ability to go 7 innings in 90 pitches or less, displaying four plus pitches will get you close. 

How many games did Grayson Rodriguez go seven innings this season?