Marwin Gonzalez's One Shining Moment

Just Regular

The MASN young guns bracketed 32 mostly dim lights, and talked them all through for over an hour today on Offseason Day1, a good hashing of C and D level players.

Marwin Gonzalez came out of their Final Four, defeating Matt Harvey, Robinson Chirinos and Andrelton Simmons, regional champions of the P/C/SS sections.

• Upvote 1

It was not a bad discussion but I have issues with some of their opinions.    They didn't even consider Josh Harrison for 3B.   Ignored the need for veteran relievers.  Picked Martin Gonzalez who has not hit for two seasons.   

It showed how bad the back up catching is to pick a 37 year old.   I liked the discussion on Jon Gray and think he might be a fit for the O's if they are willing to overpay for a starter that can eat innings.  Interesting discussion on Simmons but he seems to have fallen off a cliff both offensively and defensively.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What position do they want Marwin to play for us? Seems like Gutierrez is probably better offensively and defensively.

They discussed him as a 3B that could backup anywhere else in the field.   I think that is what he was but he has declined.

Gutierrez was impressive defensively at 3B but offensively it would betting on one month of hitting well.  Probably not a starter.

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bring back Freddy Galvis before rolling the dice on Marwin Gonzalez. Give Rylan Bannon a chance at 3B before Marwin. 

I’m in favor of bringing back Galvis, I just don’t know if this point we’ll spend any money on a vet guaranteed deal at this point. SS is our real defensive question mark at the MLB level, but with other options here(Mateo, Urias) and Grenier being in AAA, I think we’ll sign a vet SS that will take a milb deal with a ST invite. 

Marwin Gonzalez might be a good option to have around in ST because of his vet experience and his experience at playing multiple positions. It might not be the worst idea to have him around and float around the infield. I just question whether he can play SS.