Markakis extension on hold

Hank Scorpio

One thing I will say is this....

Barring a huge organizational turn around very very quickly, if Markakis doesn't get extended this offseason, I doubt he ever will.

My guess is he will be pissed and not want to negotiate with us again for a long term deal...that is unless we become WS contenders very very quickly.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring a huge organizational turn around very very quickly, if Markakis doesn't get extended this offseason, I doubt he ever will.

My guess is he will be pissed and not want to negotiate with us again for a long term deal...that is unless we become WS contenders very very quickly.

I have to agree here. I am reminded of the Cal Ripken Bobblehead night just before he went into the HOF. I was about 10th in line and there was an "old-timer" behind me and my girlfriend. We talked baseball for the hour and a half and he kept joking that he was going to pre-order his Yankees Markakis jersey. It was funny then, not so much now.

Something I always harp on, and I think folks around here don't put enough thought into is the fact that the Braves to him are what we consider Baltimore to be for Tex. I talked to him when he was in the minors and we talked about GA and I know people that have talked to him since then. Yes he likes being an Oriole, but he would also like being a Brave.

We definitely need to avoid that "point of no return" and it appears as if its coming soon.

I do think that the longer the Orioles wait, and the longer the team continues to be terrible, the less likely it is that Nick will extend. Let's say he doesn't sign, the team goes 78-84, doesn't have a September swoon, and there are some encouraging long-term signs that the team is now headed in the right direction. Would that be enough to bring him back to the table after the 2009 season? Who knows.

I don't think you even need the caveat. If an extension is done, it will be this offseason. If Nick feels comfortable in waiting us out another year, why would he all of a sudden feel more inclined to sign when he's that much closer to FA?

If ever there was a case where Andy should feel comnfortable in going $10 mil or so over whatever the normal market parameters would seem to be, this is it -- and if he can get an extra year or two tacked onto the deal, so much the better. Nick (not Tex, not AJ, not Wieters, not Matusz) is THE central cog for the future of this organization. I don't like to think that any single individual is indispensable; but Nick comes as close to that description as anyone I can envision.

I do think that the longer the Orioles wait, and the longer the team continues to be terrible, the less likely it is that Nick will extend. Let's say he doesn't sign, the team goes 78-84, doesn't have a September swoon, and there are some encouraging long-term signs that the team is now headed in the right direction. Would that be enough to bring him back to the table after the 2009 season? Who knows.

Not if we burn the bridges before then.

This is where I stand, too. It will get much harder to sign Markakis as this continues, and the value of doing so will decrease, really diminishing the chances of it happening.

I don't think there's any real problem with negotiations right now, and my read on the situation is akin to Frobby's - i.e., not the best outcome (love to see him signed) but it actually appears that all of this is an organic part of the negotiating process, and both sides are taking these talks seriously. And are being patient. Good signs all around.

So, not a positive relative to all possible outcomes. But not something to worry about.

When it gets done doesn't matter, all that matters is if it gets done.

So until Markakis is playing somewhere else, or testing the FA market, MacPhail and the Orioles haven't blown this.

Of course, getting it done sooner is better, and far more reassuring for the fans, but ultimately, if, not when, is all that matters. If they get it done tomorrow, its an A+, if they get it done in August of 2011, its an A-, if they never get it done, its an F.

I agree with those saying that the longer we wait, the more likely it is that Markakis tests the market, but still, if it gets done, it gets done, and thats all that matters.

So until Markakis is playing somewhere else, or testing the FA market, MacPhail and the Orioles haven't blown this.

Of course, getting it done sooner is better, and far more reassuring for the fans, but ultimately, if, not when, is all that matters. If they get it done tomorrow, its an A+, if they get it done in August of 2011, its an A-, if they never get it done, its an F.

I agree with those saying that the longer we wait, the more likely it is that Markakis tests the market, but still, if it gets done, it gets done, and thats all that matters.

Well, gee...what are we supposed to argue about then?

If it gets done in August 2011, it will be more expensive than if it gets done this winter. On the flip side, he'd probably be extended further into the FA years. But I'd far prefer to get this issue behind us because it allows us to focus on other things knowing that we can build around Nick long term.

If it gets done in August 2011, it will be more expensive than if it gets done this winter. On the flip side, he'd probably be extended further into the FA years. But I'd far prefer to get this issue behind us because it allows us to focus on other things knowing that we can build around Nick long term.
I don't think the FA years we buy out would be considerably more expensive. And the arb years would probably actually be cheaper. And, like you said, you'd end up keeping him hear longer (which could be a good or bad thing depending on how he ages into his mid-30's).

Obviously sooner is better, for a variety of reasons, but ultimately, 90% of the grade for this one is just if it gets done or not. The timeline and money just determine how high of an A it should be graded as.

We might. The Orioles will want to counter the "industry source" (Nick's agent?) that told the press about the "lowball" offer. I understand concept of the back and forth in negotiatons, but why start off "lowball?"
We may never know
And this is what Belkast is referring to.

The second offer, we have no idea what it was, but "significant" seems like the Orioles stepped it up a bit. And I'm sure once Markakis sees the team is committed to winning with their moves this offseason, Markakis will take some steps toward the Orioles' side...

That didn't take long to prove me right... ;)

The O's are believed to have offered Nick between $50 and $60 million over six years.
Source - Peter Schmuck reply to comments

That didn't take long to prove me right... ;)

Source - Peter Schmuck reply to comments

Which is basically what I said too.

As I said, that is a complete joke of an offer...Fairly significant meant exactly what i said it did.

For them to think he is going to sign for less than Rios(unless Nick wants less years, which doesn't seem to be the case), is a joke.

Seem out of touch with reality.

Which is basically what I said too.

As I said, that is a complete joke of an offer...Fairly significant meant exactly what i said it did.

For them to think he is going to sign for less than Rios(unless Nick wants less years, which doesn't seem to be the case), is a joke.

Seem out of touch with reality.

I really don't get this.

Lets say the offer was 6/55. If they just add an average of 1.5 million a year to it it gets us in the ballpark of where the offer should be. Not a whole lot more then what they offered, but a world away from offering Nick a contract that is less valuable than a player he is better than and younger than in Rios.

Archived