What other minor leaguers do you want to know about?

Tony-OH

I know Cody Roberts isn't a prospect and certainly doesn't deserve to be on any prospect list, but he's grown on me, and I've enjoyed following him. Do you think he could get some Major League at bats with the O's next season as a backup? There are no catchers on the O's roster, so I expect we'll sign some this offseason, and we don't know if Rutschman will be on the Opening Day roster, but, even though he's a long shot, he might be one of those guys who gets called up out of necessity. He seems to be dependable and has outlasted the prospects ahead of him. Does he get a shot next year?

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Adam Stauffer?

I was disappoint that Stauffer's velocity early in he year when he was 89-90 and I buried off the prospect scene. I took another look at him in Aberdeen and he was 91-93 over three inning stints with a mid 70's curveball (his best pitch), below average slider and changeup. Honestly, he looks very similar to Van Loon the 16r pick this past year. 

I'm not convince that mid-70s curveball works at the major league level so he may need a wrinkle or two to become interesting once again. He'l "only" be 23 next season so if he velocity can take another step forward and he can improve the offspeed he could become interesting once again.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Johnny Rizer?

Rizer is a gamer and he's fun to watch. He's a line drive hitter who occasionally will get into one, but the rising strikeout rate, lowered walk rate, average and OBP drop in AA all don't bode well for him. Mike Yastrzemski would be a guy I'd say he reminds me of when Yaz was in the minors, so never say never, but I wouldn't count on the meteoric rise like Yaz. 

11 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I know Cody Roberts isn't a prospect and certainly doesn't deserve to be on any prospect list, but he's grown on me, and I've enjoyed following him. Do you think he could get some Major League at bats with the O's next season as a backup? There are no catchers on the O's roster, so I expect we'll sign some this offseason, and we don't know if Rutschman will be on the Opening Day roster, but, even though he's a long shot, he might be one of those guys who gets called up out of necessity. He seems to be dependable and has outlasted the prospects ahead of him. Does he get a shot next year?

Roberts is a good minor league org guy who can fill in anywhere I play because he's solid defensively. He doesn't throw all that great and he has limited power and pretty much everything in his offensive game is well below average.  

He might get a major league invite to catch pitchers in spring training, but I don't think he's being looked at as a big league option.

10 hours ago, survivedc said:

Have always liked Brenan Hanifee who missed the year after surgery, think he’ll move to the bullpen? I remember reading about decent velocity and a nice sinker but he doesn’t seem like a big K guy. Either way, somebody to track next year?

He is if he's healthy enough to pitch at some point. The fact that he was not invited to instructs was not a great sign.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He is if he's healthy enough to pitch at some point. The fact that he was not invited to instructs was not a great sign.

Well, he only had his TJ surgery on May 27.    It’s not surprising that he’s not throwing yet.   The likely timetable would have him starting the 2022 season a little late, but hopefully in time to get 3+ months of action.  

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH Where would Lucious Fox rank in our top 30?  Or would he?

The short answer is he does not rank. He's a career .244/.339/.332/.671 hitter in the minor leagues. He's got a .944 fld PCt at SS.

Cadyn Grenier is a career .230/.337/.359/.696 hitter with a .963 fld percentage at SS (most of his errors were in Delmarva) with a .982 in AA.  

Honestly, I'd rather have a no stick, steady glove Grenier and he couldn't make the top 30.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The short answer is he does not rank. He's a career .244/.339/.332/.671 hitter in the minor leagues. He's got a .944 fld PCt at SS.

Cadyn Grenier is a career .230/.337/.359/.696 hitter with a .963 fld percentage at SS (most of his errors were in Delmarva) with a .982 in AA.  

Honestly, I'd rather have a no stick, steady glove Grenier and he couldn't make the top 30.

You do need to wonder what Elias thinks he sees in Fox.   Hopefully there’s more to him than shows up on the stat page.   

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do need to wonder what Elias thinks he sees in Fox.   Hopefully there’s more to him than shows up on the stat page.   

Eh, I think basically they already know they'll be DFAing Martin at some point this off-season, or something along those lines. Just a flyer guy you can bring into ST who is young and has an option. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

At one point he was rated higher than Wander Franco in the Rays’ system. Also a former top 100 prospect. He seems toolsy as all get out. I like him just like Mateo. We should be looking at “high upside” players.