Offseason Waiver Wire Thread

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Sergio Alcantara is DFA by Cubs. Has a minor league option remaining. Good defensive SS, can’t really hit. Id rather the glove at SS over someone like Urias who should prob be at 2B anyways. 

In addition to that lackluster showing in the big leagues, Alcantara owns a pedestrian .261/.340/.317 batting line in 822 plate appearances at the Double-A level. He did hit .305/.447/.451 in a small sample of 103 Triple-A plate appearances in 2021, but that’s an outlier relative to his overall body of work in the minors. 

We already have Richie Martin. Nah.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/cubs-dfa-sergio-alcantara-infielder.html

40 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

In addition to that lackluster showing in the big leagues, Alcantara owns a pedestrian .261/.340/.317 batting line in 822 plate appearances at the Double-A level. He did hit .305/.447/.451 in a small sample of 103 Triple-A plate appearances in 2021, but that’s an outlier relative to his overall body of work in the minors. 

We already have Richie Martin. Nah.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/cubs-dfa-sergio-alcantara-infielder.html

I mean, I’m not saying Alcantara would be a huge upgrade or anything but he is 2 years younger than Martin, he’s a switch hitter, and most importantly he is (to my understanding) a better fielder than anyone competing for the SS spot right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oriole said:

I mean, I’m not saying Alcantara would be a huge upgrade or anything but he is 2 years younger than Martin, he’s a switch hitter, and most importantly he is (to my understanding) a better fielder than anyone competing for the SS spot right now. 

I got ya. For me, personally, and I am likely in the minority in this opinion, but I really want to see what Mateo can do. I want nothing to stand in the way of his opportunity. If we could add Alcantara in place of say, Odor, fine. To be a bench role player. Other than that, I would rather not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I got ya. For me, personally, and I am likely in the minority in this opinion, but I really want to see what Mateo can do. I want nothing to stand in the way of his opportunity. If we could add Alcantara in place of say, Odor, fine. To be a bench role player. Other than that, I would rather not. 

I mean, it’s just me but you could trim the 40-man a little bit. Odor has no business being here, no one would claim Alex Wells if he was designated, same goes for Jahmai Jones, and there’s got to be one or two of the random relievers that’s been picked off the waiver wire that could go. Krehbiel? I’d rather the IF depth personally.

I’m just saying, since Alcantara has an option and plays above average defense I think it’s worth a shot. I don’t really care though. Just thinking out loud

• Like 1

Our hero Josh VanMeter just got DFA'd by the Diamondbacks.

Unlike the Dodgers Matt Beaty, I am not sure the Diamondbacks will want anything for him.

Ketel Marte also kicks off Spring Extension Season, though who knows how to count his service time as he already signed a LTC previously.   Cot's has him with ~5.9 years of service entering this year, so far ahead of Means/Mullins in any case.

• 2 months later...

The quality of the waiver wire is starting to pick up with roster size being cut at the end of May, only 13 pitchers on June 19, and teams managing their 40 man rosters as a contender. There’s a couple of interesting names in DFA limbo now,

C Ali Sanchez St. Louis 

RP Ryan Weber NYY

RP Jacob Webb ATL

Sanchez would upgrade our Catching depth. We’re pretty thin with at C. Nottingham and Cumberland are more known for their offense. Benboom is an emergency option. Sanchez has been called a plus defender who has a .720 OPS in AAA IL. 

Ryan Weber looks good. He’s just phased out by a really good NYY team. He’s definitely an upgrade of several relievers we have. Lopez, Tate, Bautista, Akin, Perez, and Weber would be a solid pen to just rotate 2 up/down fresh arms with.