Greene on the way to Baltimore? No.

Fan4Life

If this deal was done, or close to done, wouldn't someone else beside the NYpost be reporting it? Remember the Post said the Yanks had a 5 yr,80mil$ offer on the table for Burnett. Is this more speculation?

For what it's worth, mlb.com has picked up the New York Post report:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081203&content_id=3701496&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the San Diego Tribune via MLBTR

THURSDAY, 1:08am: Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres have reached an agreement to send Greene to the Cardinals. Krasovic believes clearing Greene's salary may improve the chances of the Padres retaining Jake Peavy.

THURSDAY, 1:08am: Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres have reached an agreement to send Greene to the Cardinals. Krasovic believes clearing Greene's salary may improve the chances of the Padres retaining Jake Peavy.

Now that's interesting. Towers has pretty much said there was no turning back...

Now that's interesting. Towers has pretty much said there was no turning back...

He's want a little more leverage I am guessing. What do you think the Padres are holding out for?

Let's assume Vitters, Cedeno, and someone like Marshall are in the deal. Who else would they want?

The assumption all along has been that both Peavy and Greene would be dealt.

I don't get why, now that Greene apparently actually has been dealt, that one would think the plan has changed.

Don't you think it is funny how teams use the media to get word out that indirectly ties to a team they are dealing with? Everyone knew the Pads wanted to cut payroll, but they are doing so for a year by dealing Greene. So they are still on the hook for $52 Million between 2010-2012. How can the Cubs not see right through this? At the same team Peavy makes them the NL World Series favorite in my opinion.

Peavy is definitely worth more than Bedard was, but I doubt they get as much. Bavasi vastly overpaid for Bedard whereas Towers has made it known that he pretty much has to deal Peavy so he isn't in a strong negotiating position.

the Cardinals. I heard it via XM Homeplate morning show with Jim Duquette and Holden Kushner. He was traded for two minor league players that they didn't name as of yet. McPhail obviously wasn't gonna give up certain prospects that the Pads were asking for. I wonder what was San Diego asking for? Garrett Olson and .....

While considering the merits of Izturis vs. Greene, think about this: Izturis was the Cardinals shortstop last year. The could have just extended him, but instead they let him go and traded two players for Greene, who earns a higher salary than it would have taken to retain Izturis. So I guess it's safe to say they weren't too enthralled with Izturis.

Archived