Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So were you up in arms when we gave Kohl Stewart or Maikel Franco cheap deals?  They actually cost more than Odor. How can anyone be upset over a league min deal?  Like I’m pretty sure I’d we cut him we don’t even have to pay out the remaining league min deal. 

This is the definition of a low risk signing at an area of need. 

Try to follow:

Franco was a signing we made in Spring Training when it was apparent that didn't have a lot of great infielders to pick from heading into the season.  And, as SG noted, he was decent in 2020.  I wasn't up in arms about Franco but it was a decent flier to take because...there weren't many better options available at the time.

I'm annoyed with this signing because it's taken place early in the offseason and Elias gave him an ML deal.  Sure, you're right, we could cut him.  I don't care about the financials here, that's not the focus.

So Elias has practically 75% of the offseason left in front of him and this is the move he makes?  This guy?  I hope there's more to follow but judging by past offseasons, probably not.

I'm also annoyed with this signing because this is becoming par for the course for the FA types that Elias tends to bring on.  Yes, let's get Odor, Harvey, King Felix and hop in the DeLorean back to 2015.  Maybe then we could be winners.

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am confused, does signing Odor on November 30 mean the offseason is done?

No, and if the Orioles actually make moves beyond this to improve the roster I'll change my tune.

For now though it certainly seems obvious where this offseason is going.  More waiver claims, reclamation projects and "warm bodies".

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t know if I’d say it’s a “poor” move.   It’s certainly an uninspiring one.  If that’s the most significant move we make this offseason, I’d certainly call the offseason a poor one.   

Again, it’s not poor just because you signed Odor.  As has been said, you can just cut him and it doesn’t matter, ala Sanchez.

But it’s what the move represents.  The Os are telling you that they aren’t making real improvements on the left side of the IF.  He is a place holder to compete for at bats and maybe platoon with a guy like Gutierrez.  They aren’t really trying to get better.  They still don’t care about winning.

I mean, as low cost as this move is, you can still argue it’s an overpay. He still may not live up to this contract. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if I’d say it’s a “poor” move.   It’s certainly an uninspiring one.  If that’s the most significant move we make this offseason, I’d certainly call the offseason a poor one.   

I agree.  It's a placeholder, uninspiring move.  SG says it's dumb, and I'm certainly leaning that way.

And there is more offseason ahead.  But as I just said, based on what he's done in previous offseasons, this is pretty much par for the course.  I'd like to be wrong this year, though.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’re like two weeks into the off-season. It’s far from over, but then again outside of the rule 5 draft, waiver claims, tendering/non tendering players, and signing a low cost vet IF/C/SP, what was everyone expecting?

Theres still huge moves that could or couldn’t be made. Elias has a huge decision if he should trade Means or not. Mullins isn’t as huge because we’re not at the crossroads we are with Means. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re like two weeks into the off-season. It’s far from over, but then again outside of the rule 5 draft, waiver claims, tendering/non tendering players, and signing a low cost vet IF/C/SP, what was everyone expecting?

Theres still huge moves that could or couldn’t be made. Elias has a huge decision if he should trade Means or not. Mullins isn’t as huge because we’re not at the crossroads we are with Means. 

This.  This is exactly what I was expecting.  

I was hoping to be proven wrong, though.  I was hoping with the fact that Rutschman is going to be on the team next year and that G-Rod would make his debut too, that this might be the offseason where the Orioles untuck their balls from between their legs and actually do something positive.  

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No, and if the Orioles actually make moves beyond this to improve the roster I'll change my tune.

For now though it certainly seems obvious where this offseason is going.  More waiver claims, reclamation projects and "warm bodies".

Live look at Elias searching for his next free agent nugget. (I'll gladly eat crow if Elias ends up acquiring a couple quality players by spring training.) 

DumpsterDive.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  It's a placeholder, uninspiring move.  SG says it's dumb, and I'm certainly leaning that way.

And there is more offseason ahead.  But as I just said, based on what he's done in previous offseasons, this is pretty much par for the course.  I'd like to be wrong this year, though.

Well, we’ve certainly seen over the years, regardless of who the GM is, that most of the O’s offseason moves happen after Jan. 1, and into February and sometimes March.  So, I’m hoping there are some bigger moves ahead.  But based on Elias’ track record to date, and what he’s said in recent interviews, I’m certainly not expecting anything big or splashy.   

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So why could Schoop and Villar bounce back at age 27, but Odor can’t?

The question should be more like what percentage of disappointing, regressing players at 25-27 improve afterwards? 

Also, is there reason to think that Odor is a good comp for either Schoop or Villar?  Through 25 Schoop had a 101 OPS+, and that included an age 22 season where he was in over his head but the O's kept playing him presumably for his defensive value. He had an off year at 26, but has somewhat rebounded since.  Villar has been inconsistent year-to-year, had a poor age 26 season, a good 2019, but has been below-average since.

Odor has had a few seasons as an average-ish MLB regular, but over the last five years has been just a tick above replacement, hitting .213/.280/412.  And trending even below that for the past two seasons. 

To me he looks like a poor man's Jonathan Schoop.  I guess the upside is he plays more like 2018-19 and he's somewhere between passable and average.  But I think I could say similar things about Urias, Bannon, and Jones and they don't really cost anything.  What is Odor's contract value?  I guess if it's somewhat close to the minimum... sure, why not?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The question should be more like what percentage of disappointing, regressing players at 25-27 improve afterwards? 

Also, is there reason to think that Odor is a good comp for either Schoop or Villar?  Through 25 Schoop had a 101 OPS+, and that included an age 22 season where he was in over his head but the O's kept playing him presumably for his defensive value. He had an off year at 26, but has somewhat rebounded since.  Villar has been inconsistent year-to-year, had a poor age 26 season, a good 2019, but has been below-average since.

Odor has had a few seasons as an average-ish MLB regular, but over the last five years has been just a tick above replacement, hitting .213/.280/412.  And trending even below that for the past two seasons. 

To me he looks like a poor man's Jonathan Schoop.  I guess the upside is he plays more like 2018-19 and he's somewhere between passable and average.  But I think I could say similar things about Urias, Bannon, and Jones and they don't really cost anything.  What is Odor's contract value?  I guess if it's somewhat close to the minimum... sure, why not?

Odor is getting the league minimum 

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t worry, Os twitterverse is already supporting it.  I swear, Elias could sign Chris Davis back to the team on a MiL deal and people would say, why not..you never know!

First thing you did wrong, check Twitterverse for opinion. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Odor is getting the league minimum 

So... okay.  He's in the same class as Urias, Bannon, Jones, etc.  Just another body who can be released at any moment.  This is a non-move.  Depth, insurance, call it what you will. Two days ago the Orioles' projected win total was 59, today it's 59.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we should avoid hyperbole here.   Sure, it is possible that Odor will have a rebound year that is better than his last several.   For that reason, it’s possible that in hindsight we’ll say that this move wasn’t a waste of time.   But the odds are against Odor being anything better than he’s been the last five years.   There’s a high probability that he won’t significantly improve the team.   I’d be happy to be wrong about that.  

Has the hyperbole flown in two directions here?

I see it flowing in only one direction.

I have literally seen no one claiming that Odor is going to be good.  Or even make the roster.

• Like 1