Richie Martin outrighted to AAA

Frobby

39 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'd rather have Odor than Martin.  And that's what this was.  And looks like we'll have both.

But we gave up Lucius Fox!

Talk about your proverbial deck chair rearrangement.  Other fans get to see their teams sign big free agents, extend young stars, make trades.  We have to get our excitement from bottom of the 40 man roster-bation.

And they are PROBABLY going to cancel Christmas, I mean take away the Rule 5 draft from us, too.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Talk about your proverbial deck chair rearrangement.  Other fans get to see their teams sign big free agents, extend young stars, make trades.  We have to get our excitement from bottom of the 40 man roster-bation.

And they are PROBABLY going to cancel Christmas, I mean take away the Rule 5 draft from us, too.

200.gif

• Haha 1

This was the right call for Richie, he really doesn't need to be on the 40-man, and he was very unlikely to get claimed.

Right now, here's the infield depth chart as I see it:

SS
1. Mateo
2. Urias

2B
1. Odor
2. Urias
3. Jones/Mateo

3B
1. Gutierrez?
2. Urias
3. Odor/Mateo

The biggest problem is even after the Odor signing, 3B hasn't been solved and Urias is getting the shaft in every position despite being without a doubt the best player of anyone listed here. 

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

This was the right call for Richie, he really doesn't need to be on the 40-man, and he was very unlikely to get claimed.

SS
1. Mateo
2. Urias

2B
1. Odor
2. Urias
3. Jones/Mateo

3B
1. Gutierrez?
2. Urias
3. Odor/Mateo

The biggest problem is even after the Odor signing, 3B hasn't been solved and Urias is getting the shaft in every position despite being without a doubt the best player of anyone listed here. 

I wonder if the plan is to go with Urias at SS, where he played the majority of his games last year.

Gutierrez had an OPS in the .500's vs RHP's, and that was probably his version of overarchieving with the bat. I could see him playing vs LHP only or as defensive sub. With Odor playing 3B or 2B with other guys shifting around 

2B: Odor (RHP)/Mateo (LHP)

SS: Urias/Mateo

3B: Mateo (RHP)/Gutierrez (LHP)/Odor/Urias

28 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I think it's highly possible that Mateo and/or Gutierrez both fall flat on their faces over a full season.  I'm hoping at least 1 can prove they belong.

The odds of at least one of them failing are certainly higher than 50/50.

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

There will be more waiver claims and incremental improvements to the 40 man roster. I still think we’re going to see 5-7+ more spots turnover before ST. Between waiver claims, trades, rule 5, and needs at C and SP. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

SS
1. Mateo
2. Urias

2B
1. Odor
2. Urias
3. Jones/Mateo

3B
1. Gutierrez?
2. Urias
3. Odor/Mateo

There is no world where Odor is starting over a healthy Urias on opening day with the Orioles this year. 

As for Martin, he could have been DFA'd at any point. He's just not a major league player. He's an up down 35 level player because of his lack of stick and inconsistent defense.

• Upvote 1