O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The O's need 5 starters to begin the season.  They have Means and Lyles.   Grayson, Bradish and Buamann may need to go to AAA for a little while to begin the season.  That gives Zimmermann a good chance to be in the rotation on OD.  All he has to do is pitch well  and they will not take him out of the rotation.  He can get 30 starts.

Yeah Zimm is my clear #3 starter as it stands right now. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

He can’t.

Edit: Someone who can consistently go six innings with allowing four or fewer runs Would be welcome on almost any rotation in baseball.

That’s not Lyles. Others have mentioned his career, So what he has done is pretty obvious.

He can and has. That's a 6 ERA. 

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I didn’t mention this point in my occam’s razor analysis, because it’s obvious that Mike doesn’t care about that. But that begs the question of why not? If next season is still a development year, which will infuriate me, then why isn’t he letting his guys develop? If wins don’t matter, which also infuriates me, What can be more important than allowing all of your guys through 150 innings each, for instance.

Kremer, Lowther, A. Wells, Baumann, Akin, Means, Grayson, Hall, Bradish, maybe T Wells or Lopez, and that’s off the time of my head. That’s a lot of guys who deserve mound time. Why spend 7 million dollars on a career of crap hoping it will suddenly turn into not-crap?

Its not logical.

My best guess is he views it as a $7M investment in the bullpen. We may we'll have done a lot more than $7M of long term damage to the bullpen by overextending guys like Fry and Plutko.

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Under the Brewers Chris Hook in 2019 Lyles had a great 2nd half after being acquired from the Pirates.   He went 7-1, 2.45 ERA,  11 S, 58.2 IP, 43 H, 56 K, 1.108 WHIP.  

Maybe our plan is to trade him to the Brewers for the stretch run.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Holt doesn't get better results, and Elias still supports him, Elias won't be here long.

My guess is that Holt would keep his Pitching Coordinator job and they would bring in a pitching coach if things don't turn around.  That is almost what they are doing with bringing Holmes in from the pen to the dugout.

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

Let's not go crazy with "deserve". Kremer proved he doesn't deserve much right now other than another stint in AAA. Baumann, T. Wells, and Lopez will be in the bullpen. A. Wells will be in AAA as emergency depth. Lowther, Zimmermann, Akin, and Bradish will be options for the rotation even with Lyles. And G-Rod will be up in August or so, bumping whomever is struggling most. 

There's plenty of room. 

My point is that if these guys are potential starters, then they need to start. If management has already decided they have no future that’s one thing. Wells is “emergency depth” then why do we care about him in the first place? Unless he has proven his limits, and I don’t think that is true. He got what, 18 innings in the bigs? That’s hardly an audition, especially when Mike Wright Junior got three years. So all these guys, including the ones who did the worst, need a meaningful audition, I don’t know how much that is, I don’t know what the magic number of innings is, but it’s more than they’ve gotten so far

No, signing this guy is illogical, and even if you are correct, then giving a guy $7 million to go out and get whammed every game for six innings is a ridiculous purchase.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Math is hard.

That made me laugh, and yes, I will concede the point, however my comment was actually defending Liles as perhaps being worth his money after all, after being corrected, I withdraw my defense and once again sharpen the pitchforks.

He is not at all worth the money. Under any circumstances except the most unlikely.

20 minutes ago, Philip said:

My point is that if these guys are potential starters, then they need to start. If management has already decided they have no future that’s one thing. Wells is “emergency depth” then why do we care about him in the first place? Unless he has proven his limits, and I don’t think that is true. He got what, 18 innings in the bigs? That’s hardly an audition, especially when Mike Wright Junior got three years. So all these guys, including the ones who did the worst, need a meaningful audition, I don’t know how much that is, I don’t know what the magic number of innings is, but it’s more than they’ve gotten so far

No, signing this guy is illogical, and even if you are correct, then giving a guy $7 million to go out and get whammed every game for six innings is a ridiculous purchase.

I agree to an extent but assuming no further signings we will have more flexibility in the rotation next year. Lyles replaces Harvey but Lopez is in the bullpen so there are three spots for developing starters. I don't know if you want more than that after what happened last year! There is also the possibility Means is traded.

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

I still think they should move the fences back 20’. They could have one of the fastest outfields with Hays and Mullins. Also, their pitching would be better and they don’t have that much of a home run hitting team like years past. They could resign Bundy as well because most of his HRs allowed weren’t over 20 feet over. 

I strongly agree with the general sentiment, though I don't know whether 20 feet is right amount, or that the expansion be uniform, or what the renovation costs would be for various scenarios. (I wouldn't be worried too much about the loss of seats unless it's a really big number.) It would make the games better, and it might make the team better.

Are there any publicly available analyses of possible field expansions?

I'm confident that this isn't a possibility until we see new, better-funded ownership.

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

Except no one in our rotation could even pitch 6 innings last year. Thats why they wanted him. To give the bullpen a breather every 5 starts in case the rotation self implodes again.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I agree to an extent but assuming no further signings we will have more flexibility in the rotation next year. Lyles replaces Harvey but Lopez is in the bullpen so there are three spots for developing starters. I don't know if you want more than that after what happened last year! There is also the possibility Means is traded.

Sure, I don’t disagree with the notion of signing a warm body or two to a minor league contract for the inevitable time when our starters need to sit in the corner and think about what they’ve done. But that’s not a $7 million guy, for $7 million you’re going to be starting him longer than you should, keeping him longer than you should, and using him more than you should. How long did we keep Harvey after it was clear he was another “we shouldn’t have signed him” guys?

11 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Except no one in our rotation could even pitch 6 innings last year. Thats why they wanted him. To give the bullpen a breather every 5 starts in case the rotation self implodes again.  

My point is that even though the goal is valid the solution is not.