Trade Bait 2022

ScGO's

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

MLBTR has article about possible trading of Jorge Lopez.

I didn’t see the Lopez mention. What caught my eye was that Benintendi is available and having a career year. If you think we are trading Santander before he goes for a boat load. He’s a good piece and would love to see him here. 

13 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'd do AAV of $5 million - $8 million. So if 5 years, $40 million max. I think that's reasonable for both parties.

I don't know, I have a hard time seeing him agree to effectively 3/$32 for his FA years. That's also a lot of money for us. Granted our payroll is crazy low but that would make him our highest paid player which doesn't feel right. 

I'm still fine with trading: Mancini, Santander, Lyles, Lopez, Tate, and any IF who has a market.  I'd be fine trade Mullins still too but doubt the market would support my hopes.  

Yes, trading them likely says we're not looking for that playoff push this year.  But all things considered, were we expecting to compete at the beginning of the year?  And are we expecting multiple big FA signings to fill the rotation or positional gaps this off-season considering the Angelos family turmoil? 

Which leaves stacking and developing minor league talent as the primary path to competition.  Yes, we have some potential answers internally already. 

We have big SP gaps in the rotation and SP prospect list.  Hall will be given every chance to start, but is he a 3-4 IP guy in reality?  Bradish has been spotty at best in his ML starts.  Can he adjust to the ML?  Baumler (A) is just getting into it.  No real SPs in AAA.  Do we feel confident Wells and Kremer are legit?  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Stock Up- Most Likely

Trey Mancini - Seems like his market is heating up. I feel like there are some underlying metrics that show he can perform better in a more RH Hitter friendly Home Park. Good OPS+ numbers. I am intrigued to see what Elias can get for 2+ months of a DH/1B. Still don't expect it to me overwhelming, but could be pretty good enough teams are in on him

Anthony Santander - Hoping someone jumps on him bc of his tools and athleticism as I feel his stock is a little higher than his performance right now. HRs are there, OPS+ is 112, and his Defense is slightly above avg. Could probably command more than Mancini bc of the control

Jorge Lopez - Sell high on BP arms is my theory. Tough blown save last night, but overall, still been great. Hopefully gets the All Star selection and we can swing him while he's got this high stock

Dillon Tate - Numbers are good. I think the time is now if the demand is there.  He could be a guy that stays for another season, but I like the idea of selling high as relievers can be volatile. 

Stock Up - Less Likely

Austin Hays - No rush, and he could even be a piece we build around, but he's our best player, and if we are given a good offer, Elias has to listen

Stock Down

Cedric Mullins - Defense has been great, bat has been average.  Maybe should have solid high in the offseason. A desperate team could make a good offer as he does have a few more years of control. Elias probably hopes for a rebound in the 2nd half or in 2023

Low Value Trade Candidates

Jordan Lyles - Innings eater has done what was advertised to do. Harvey can replace in the August if we can swing him in a Cashner type trade. Might as well to save money and get something as he probably won't be back next year.

Roughned Odor - Again, if anyone is willing to give you a lottery ticket, might as well trade him as he's another guy that probably won't be back next year. Also the chance that no one would want him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SpOkane said:

When it comes to Orioles infielders, don't discount the Angels.  They look to be signing Villar, currently have Velazquez, and had Iglesias in '21. Maybe Odor if they can't keep their IF healthy?

I hope that by the trade deadline, or shortly after, Odor is not the second baseman one way or another. Unlike other infielders who are now on the team, in the minors or potential acquisitions, we know very well what he is. And it ain't good.

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I hope that by the trade deadline, or shortly after, Odor is not the second baseman one way or another. Unlike other infielders who are now on the team, in the minors or potential acquisitions, we know very well what he is. And it ain't good.

I think he will play out the month and then Vavra will be the everyday 2B, or at least Vavra will be given every opportunity to be the everyday 2B. 

What would be a return on Lopez that would make it worth trading him.  I would want a top 100 prospect and some "power" arms.   Top 100 probably means guy that barely made top 100 or just missed the list.  Lopez has been so good, but what if the O's keep him and he goes back to 2021 Lopez.

I would rather trade Tate, but can't see much of a return for him.  Everytime I see Tate in a game, I'm expecting him to blow up.  I know he's mostly been dependable, but he just gives me that feeling.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What about Urias trade value when he's back.  I think of him as a .700ish OPS guy who can play all around the infield.  Could be good for a team dealing with injuries.  Questionable if the O's could get something back to make it worth trading him.

I think you'd have to find a pretty desperate team to get anything for Urias. And unlike Odor, he's a useful guy to have around.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I think you'd have to find a pretty desperate team to get anything for Urias. And unlike Odor, he's a useful guy to have around.

Don’t see why you’d have to be desperate. If he’s healthy.  The guy has played 144 major league games and has accumulated 3.1 rWAR.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Don’t see why you’d have to be desperate. If he’s healthy.  The guy has played 144 major league games and has accumulated 3.1 rWAR.   

So you think teams will give up useful players for Urias? Maybe so, but I doubt it unless there's a contender with a big gap or injury. I'm guessing he's worth more to the Orioles than to other teams and that he's not going anywhere.

Fangraphs has his career WAR at 1.5.