Should we consider Hosmer in a Salary dump trade?

sportsfan8703

The Padres are trying to dump Eric Hosmer and his salary. He’s owed,

2022: 21 million Age 32

2023: 13 million Age 33

2024: 13 million Age 34

2025: 13 million Age 35

Here’s an MLBTR article linking the same trade idea to the Cubs,

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/cubs-padres-discussed-eric-hosmer-trade-last-summer.html

The Cubs are on his no trade list.  Are we?  He’s owed 4/60 going forward.

The Pads were willing to give up a top prospect to get rid of him. Obviously, the first thought that jumps into mind is Hosmer and LH SP Mackenzie Gore for ??? 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/cubs-padres-discussed-eric-hosmer-trade-last-summer.html

The Pads were willing to give up a top prospect to get rid of him. Obviously, the first thought that jumps into mind is Hosmer and LH SP Mackenzie Gore for ??? 

I’m a hard pass on all of that. I am in on the concept, just not that player. Headcase, has to have his own hitting coach, ground ball machine, and wayyyy over-priced. If it was $30 million, then maybe and just DFA him immediately. I do not want that guy around my young players. And MacKenzie Gore has the yips from what I gather. No thanks on that either.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

According to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal, the 10 teams on Hosmer's list are theAthletics, Blue Jays, Brewers, Cardinals, Giants, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Pirates, and Tigers

• Upvote 1

Hsomer's just redundant.  I mean, if we were going to trade Mancini sure, I guess.  But we've got Mountcastle at first, I don't know what they'd have to include to make Hosmer appealing not just from a salary dump perspective but from a roster clog as well.  

Hosmer/Gore is enticing depending on what we'd have to give up.  

52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Absolutely.  The Orioles should consider anything and everything to make the team better.  I highly doubt, however, that Elias has permission from the penny pinchers up top to make this type of move, even though it could potentially bring in a good prospect or two.