Dan Straily MLBTR chat - O's question... interesting!

interloper

O's guy
10:29
What happened with the Os? It was such an anomaly for your career. AL East? Park factors? Randomness?

Dan Straily
10:30
I found out at the end of the season that I was pitching on a torn meniscus and had part of it on the outside of my knee. was told many times all year it was just some inflammation.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Not a good look for the team doctor, perhaps? Not sure who exactly would be telling him that incorrect diagnosis. I doubt it would be the training staff. Maybe just whatever doctor he went to?

It would have to be a doctor on the O's staff.  At the very least for the initial diagnoses.  If he kept mentioning it as an issue why didn't they seek other opinions or if they did why didn't they properly diagnose the issue?

Not a good look.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would have to be a doctor on the O's staff.  At the very least for the initial diagnoses.  If he kept mentioning it as an issue why didn't they seek other opinions or if they did why didn't they properly diagnose the issue?

Not a good look.

Maybe he did seek a 2nd opinion (why wouldn't he?), and if so did that doc also tell him it was just inflammation? Maybe it just didn't show up on any MRI? Hard to say without more details. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure about this one and it may very well be true but, he wouldn't be the first player to throw a team under the bus claiming an injury was not treated properly in order to explain away poor performance. Like the earlier poster mentioned, he went to Philly at mid-season so, I guess they didn't find it either. They would have presumably looked at medical reports including any scans that may have been taken. Seems a bit convenient to me. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not a good look.

I don’t think it’s a bad look. I do however think there is a lot of missing context.

Medical imaging isn’t that cut and dry. Especially injuries that small. Each type of imaging has their advantages and disadvantages. Odds are, the O’s doctors aren’t even the first ones who interpret the imaging. Radiologists do that, so I’m willing to bet that the Orioles doctors were the second opinion, because they were the second set of eyes to interpret it.

Was it a partial thickness tear? Full thickness? How was he finally diagnosed? If more than one MRI didn’t catch it, it was most likely a surgeon who went in arthroscopically. That’s the most invasive way, so that’s why it’s last.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1