Mets Officially Hire Buck Showalter

Yardball85

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the right hire for a team in need of a culture team And one that is ready to win now.  

That’s  the job that makes sense for Him.  I thought he would get the Padres job.

I think hiring a manager known to meddle with ownership over team composition who had a big contract player actively stumping for him is a disastrous move.

Should be fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I never loved Buck and have felt he's a bit over rated.   Makes some bone head moves at times and does too much meddling in none manager roles.  Not sure he's the right answer for the Mets, but I don't really care either.   

Buck took the O's who had been wondering in the desert for 14 years and made them a winner again.   He earned my admiration for that.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Buck took the O's who had been wondering in the desert for 14 years and made them a winner again.   He earned my admiration for that.

He certainly did.   But at the same time he also had a hand in turning us into the terrible team we've been the last few years, including his final team.  The Davis signing sits firmly on his,  and PAs, plate.  The power struggles between him,  DD and Brady were a mess.   While I love the good he did here and enjoyed the good teams, I'm also going to look at the bad.   It was a mixed bag at best. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, wildcard said:

It is always difficult to separate out who or what is responsible for a thing. Was it manager moves, was it personnel moves, was it sudden career years from random guys?

Looking back at wonderful 2012, nobody expected 93 wins, almost certainly not least of all the Orioles. How many wins would we have had If we had called up Manny a month earlier? Or if we had not signed Nate McLouth? Or if Steve Johnson Hadn’t been surprisingly good, and so on.

Unfortunately it is much easier to peg a bad decision on one person, And that is easy to do with almost any manager, not least with buck.

The main problem they are going to be dealing with is another round of what was detailed in Tony’s wonderful article called “Orioles Game of Thrones” which details the infighting at the top between Buck and Dan.

We shall see what happens, but overall I could not care less. I am much more interested in what the Orioles do, and I am much engaged in our top guys. I hope they are adequate for their job.

• Upvote 2

I like Buck and appreciate what he did for the Orioles. Wish him well in NY. To me, rooting for any NY team however is like rooting for the IRS. So, he's back in Money-Ville, where he started. Hope he can handle all those aging super rich players and egos.  My take on Buck. How do you not like someone that has that many Basset Hounds?

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

He certainly did.   But at the same time he also had a hand in turning us into the terrible team we've been the last few years, including his final team.  The Davis signing sits firmly on his,  and PAs, plate.  The power struggles between him,  DD and Brady were a mess.   While I love the good he did here and enjoyed the good teams, I'm also going to look at the bad.   It was a mixed bag at best. 

I will never blame Buck for the Davis deal.   First of all, we’ve never gotten anything but speculation about how involved he was in that.  Second, it’s on the owner to let the GM make the decision to say no.   I think DD gets off too light here.   If he was against it, he should have made a strong stand, not sat idly by and let it happen.   And I doubt Buck was negotiating the details of the contract.   At most he would have said it was important to have Davis back.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the right hire for a team in need of a culture team And one that is ready to win now.  

Ditto this.  Buck came into a sad sack Baltimore clubhouse and instilled some pride and moxie.   That’s about all the Mets really need to add in a weak NL East.   It’s a very good situation for Buck to step into.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I will never blame Buck for the Davis deal.   First of all, we’ve never gotten anything but speculation about how involved he was in that.  Second, it’s on the owner to let the GM make the decision to say no.   I think DD gets off too light here.   If he was against it, he should have made a strong stand, not sat idly by and let it happen.   And I doubt Buck was negotiating the details of the contract.   At most he would have said it was important to have Davis back.  

I agree. Buck Probably gets a pass for the Davis deal, but Dan certainly does not. It is his job as GM to avoid dumb stuff, even if the owner wants dumb stuff.

Buck probably engaged in a lot of meddling, but wasn’t-probably-the dominant factor in the Davis deal.