Meoli done at the Sun

Sports Guy

Nathan Ruiz

Working alongside Jon the past three years has undoubtedly been one of my favorite parts of this job. I learned a ton from him, and I’m looking forward to helping the Sun continue the same level of in-depth Orioles coverage we’ve provided since this rebuild started. https://twitter.com/JonMeoli/status/1476580626010718210

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fascinating

I hadn't heard of https://substack.com/ before.

Very interested in how this venture turns out for him.

There’s lots of interesting writing at substack. Bari Weiss of the NYT accelerated a trend when she moved there and started sponsoring other writing. It’s an interesting concept that seems to be working.

3 hours ago, pdiddy said:

There’s lots of interesting writing at substack. Bari Weiss of the NYT accelerated a trend when she moved there and started sponsoring other writing. It’s an interesting concept that seems to be working.

Virtually all my favorite online writers now are on Substack.

• Upvote 1

“With the occasional trip to Camden Yards and a continued presence around their minor league parks, my hope is to give a look at how they plan to open that window and begin to compete again.

The first few weeks of this page will be free as we feel out the process of what it’s going to look like. I anticipate the output will look a lot like the body of work from the Sun, with reported stories and insights on what the Orioles are doing to get good again. I did a fairly good job of only writing what I wanted to write then, and that freedom will hopefully produce the same types of stories going forward.” 

https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/new-year-new-me

He said the magic words!

On 1/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, Frobby said:

“With the occasional trip to Camden Yards and a continued presence around their minor league parks, my hope is to give a look at how they plan to open that window and begin to compete again.

The first few weeks of this page will be free as we feel out the process of what it’s going to look like. I anticipate the output will look a lot like the body of work from the Sun, with reported stories and insights on what the Orioles are doing to get good again. I did a fairly good job of only writing what I wanted to write then, and that freedom will hopefully produce the same types of stories going forward.” 

https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/new-year-new-me

He said the magic words!

Seems like another Athletic. Sports writing is hard to make a decent living off anymore unless you are under team or league control or at one of the major newspapers, but they are cutting back. It's not surprising that a lot of these guys have side hustles or the sports writing is the side hustle like me.

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Seems like another Athletic. Sports writing is hard to make a decent living off anymore unless you are under team or league control or at one of the major newspapers, but they are cutting back. It's not surprising that a lot of these guys have side hustles or the sports writing is the side hustle like me.

Sounds like it will be the side hustle for Meoli.   

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just saw that The NY Times is buying the Athletic.   Interesting.  

Fascinating.  I wonder if all the talk about bleeding out tradition media was BS and this was their actual plan from the start?

Seems like a nice payday, they raised 139M over the years and are selling for 550M.

My guess is that it's going to work out better for the venture capitalists than it will for the Times.