Baseball America has released a new top 50 Internationals 2022.

1 hour ago, waynebug said:

Orioles to sign 1.  A centerfielder.  Based on the size of his bonus they rank him # 18 overall.

Disappointing given they have the biggest bonus pool, $6.2 million.

I read that his bonus is between 1.5-2M.  I guess the other kid (Arias) is not listed in the top 50 bonus amounts.  What was the bonus amount at #50 on the list?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Ranking players based on their bonuses sounds lazy.   Is that literally what BA did?

It might be lazy but it's honest.

How do you make an accurate list of 16 year olds who may not even play actual competitive games?

You think BA can get eyes on all these workouts?

Starting at #50 I backtracked looking for bonus figures.

Finally at #36, Rojas a Dominican shortstop, is expected to sign for at least $1 million.  Historically, after the top 30 the bonuses go down to 6 figures.

MLB.com tried to rank their top 50 on ability.  Baseball America uses their bonus  size (market value) to rank their top 50. 

I think that is more respectful to the young men.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It might be lazy but it's honest.

How do you make an accurate list of 16 year olds who may not even play actual competitive games?

You think BA can get eyes on all these workouts?

Now that I see (from another thread) that it’s just a list of who is expected to get the highest bonuses, I’m fine with it.   If it was “Jose Cuervo got the 10th highest bonus so we’re ranking him as the 10th best international prospect” I would find that very lazy.   

I’m looking forward to Jan. 15 for the first bit of solid news in a while.   

1 minute ago, waynebug said:

Starting at #50 I backtracked looking for bonus figures.

Finally at #36, Rojas a Dominican shortstop, is expected to sign for at least $1 million.  Historically, after the top 30 the bonuses go down to 6 figures.

MLB.com tried to rank their top 50 on ability.  Baseball America uses their bonus  size (market value) to rank their top 50. 

I think that is more respectful to the young men.

What is more respectful about it?    I don’t get that at all.   There are lots of reasons a player might get a bonus that is too low or too high, especially keeping in mind that many players have verbal agreements when they are 14 and a lot may have changed by the time they are 16.

In any event, I’m interested to see who we signed beyond Tavera and Arias.  

They don't say one player is better than another.  They simply say we ranked these players based on their expected bonus signing.

That sounds respectful of the kid's feelings to me.   I don't see why you can't see that Frobby.  Bad day in court ?

I went through that in earlier life too.

26 minutes ago, waynebug said:

They don't say one player is better than another.  They simply say we ranked these players based on their expected bonus signing.

That sounds respectful of the kid's feelings to me.   I don't see why you can't see that Frobby.  Bad day in court ?

I went through that in earlier life too.

It has nothing to do with the kids feelings though.  They only do it that way because they realize they don't have enough information,  as opposed to HS and college players, to make a informed ranking based on ability, talent, statistics, and projection.  I don't think one way or the other is respectful or disrespectful.  Time will show that some of the 100k and 300k guys were way better than some of the 2M bonus players.  Some of these kids agreed verbally when they were 14 and 15 years old.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Great improvement.  Being upset by this is misguided.

Yep, falling behind other teams in the division by less than prior years is great.  ?

I'm not upset but this isn't great. 

Is this year's class going to be an improvement over last year's?  Are we seeing progress in the quality of the class?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, falling behind other teams in the division by less than prior years is great.  ?

I'm not upset but this isn't great. 

Is this year's class going to be an improvement over last year's?  Are we seeing progress in the quality of the class?

It’s just overall improvement.  The stupidity of the past is what it is.  What they are doing now is fine.

Crying over not getting the top top guys is stupidity at it’s finest.

They are making great strides and things are getting better and better.  They have a real plan and the right people in place to execute it.  That’s all we can ask for.  

• Upvote 1

Signing players at 16 and agreeing with them 1 or 2 years before that is an even more inexact science than the U.S. amateur draft.  We are in the game and Koby Perez is a respected presence leading the operation.  Judging this years class over last years or the year before is just a waste of time.  The final judgment will be what types of prospects and major leaguers it produces.  We should be happy that we have a ML operation in Latin America after years of having a shoestring budget and minimal effort.  Looking for reasons to be unhappy?  Some people are really good at that.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just overall improvement.  The stupidity of the past is what it is.  What they are doing now is fine.

Crying over not getting the top top guys is stupidity at it’s finest.

They are making great strides and things are getting better and better.  They have a real plan and the right people in place to execute it.  That’s all we can ask for.  

Is this class going to be an improvement over last year's class?  I don't think that is at all a lock at this point.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this class going to be an improvement over last year's class?  I don't think that is at all a lock at this point.

Ha. It might not be a lock one way or the other for 5-7 years if can even tell by then.  What barometer should we use?  

Two years ago our highest profile guys were Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez in the 500k  range. Last year it was Maikol Hernandez and Basallo both over 1M.  Is there years class automatically worse if only one guy is signed over 1M?