Fangraphs 2022 Top 100 Prospect List

Can_of_corn

One of the things I really enjoyed is them putting a Single Inning Relief Pitcher label on Shane Baz.

Grayson vs. Baz vs. Manoah vs. Cole was I imagined one of the top battlelines for the Adley teams climb up the division if they can.    I don't care if Baz is Craig Kimbrel - if he's not a star SP that'd be a win from where I figured he was heading.

Good clarification Tony on Grayson's 80-pitch limit.    The 70 I've said a few times about his 2021 were his actual results (minorleagueball has him at 1588 pitches for the 23 games, actually a hair <70).

39 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One of the things I really enjoyed is them putting a Single Inning Relief Pitcher label on Shane Baz.

Grayson vs. Baz vs. Manoah vs. Cole was I imagined one of the top battlelines for the Adley teams climb up the division if they can.    I don't care if Baz is Craig Kimbrel - if he's not a star SP that'd be a win from where I figured he was heading.

Good clarification Tony on Grayson's 80-pitch limit.    The 70 I've said a few times about his 2021 were his actual results (minorleagueball has him at 1588 pitches for the 23 games, actually a hair <70).

From the Chat:

Sammy’sCork: What chances do you all give Shane Baz of starting vs relieving? I noticed you had him as a single inning reliever and I was curious because it would seem to me he has the stuff and command to be an effective starter + it seems the Rays intend to use him that way, at least initially…

Eric A Longenhagen: i goofed and didn’t change his designation from last year, we have him in as a starter

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From the Chat:

Sammy’sCork: What chances do you all give Shane Baz of starting vs relieving? I noticed you had him as a single inning reliever and I was curious because it would seem to me he has the stuff and command to be an effective starter + it seems the Rays intend to use him that way, at least initially…

Eric A Longenhagen: i goofed and didn’t change his designation from last year, we have him in as a starter

A great reminder how of how much can change in a year. 

Ed H: How much time do you spend looking at other lists (e.g., Baseball America, Keith Law) to see the amount of convergence/divergence with your own rankings?

1:19
Kevin Goldstein: I haven’t looked at either of those lists to this day. And that’s not an insult. I think both BA and Keith do fine, very fine actually, work, but I think it’s exceptionally important to avoid groupthink or any kind of matching mentality when evaluating players.
  • Upvote 3

Steve Melewski has an article up on the Fangraphs list that includes a few quotes from Eric Longenhagen: 

“[T]he long period of suffering is starting to come to an end,” said Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com lead prospect analyst. “That there are real cornerstones for a competitive postseason club who are not only in the farm system but very close to the big leagues.

“I think it means that they have players in the system that represent a competitive core. That, while it’s unlikely that everyone we put on this list turns into the player we think and hope they will be, there is enough depth to fight against that natural rate of failure and attrition and still have a postseason-worthy club in the next half decade.”

“I think of [Cowser, Henderson and Mayo] that Mayo has the most potential to [make a big move up the list],” he said. “He strikes us as a prospect that has the widest error bar. One that has the biggest gap between his potential ceiling and floor. Where Cowser and Henderson feel a little bit more stable and solid to us but maybe don’t have quite as a big of a ceiling. So, if I had to pick someone that might really blow up from that group, it would be Mayo.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/02/a-look-at-the-os-haul-of-prospects-on-fangraphs-list.html

Fangraphs came out with a list of 46 “picks to click,” who they’re guessing could make next year’s top 100.  They have about a 25% hit rate on past “picks to click.”  They put their picks into various categories.   Three Orioles made the list:

Kyle Stowers (“Buying the Bat” category)

Kyle Bradish (“Just Outside”)

Carter Baumler (“Deep Cuts”)

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to-click-who-we-expect-to-make-the-2023-top-100/