The draft is a total crapshoot- revisiting 2007 draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953026-grading-every-mlb-teams-2007-draft-haul

You can see what a tiny percentage of drafted players have any meaningful MLB impact.   Even highly touted "can't miss" guys frequently do....

The Padres had 6 selections in the top 65 picks of the draft and got no one who would ever help their team....

Yikes...  kinda scary....😱

• 3 weeks later...

I think technology is really helping to define talent now. Now scouts, scouting directors, and GMs have much more data on most of the players to include EV, LAs, details on quickness for jumps and routes in the outfield and for pitchers, now they have spin rates, true spin, movement data besides just plain on radar gun velocity.

There are still going to be misses, but I think we're going to see a lot less huge busts then we've seen in years before 2014-15 ish. 

Go look at some of the Orioles drafts in the 70s, 80s and even the early 90s. They may have had a better chance just pulling names out of hat in some of those drafts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not the 2007 draft, but 2011.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/joe-panik-beloved-giants-draft-pick-and-infielder-retires-mlb

Living in the SF market, i remember she Joe Panik was brought up.   He came into the league and had immediate success.  I thought he would be a perennial All Star at second base and have a long, productive career.  A couple years later, he was DFA'd, bounced around a bit and then forgotten.  Now he's retired. A quick rise, then fall from MLB stardom.  You never know who will last in this league.