Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, everyone sharing their concerns with Correa are right.  There are red flags to be worried about.

That being said, go look at the next several FA lists.  Tell me who you want?  Tell me who makes sense?

And if your answer is, no one..that’s fine too.  But there is essentially a zero percent chance that the next contending Os team will be comprised of only home grown talent.  We absolutely must acquire outside the organization talent.  

Not sure about you guys but I would rather sign one Correa(and I hate the idea of a 10/350 deal btw) than 3 Ubaldo type deals.

I would have much preferred Seager if we were going to saddle ourselves with a crazy 10 year mega-deal, I think his bat keeps the floor on his value higher than Correa's as the aging process unfolds. Since that obviously is off the table now, I would prefer to simply wait a little longer for our prospects to develop to see where our needs actually exist than to take the plunge on Correa just be ause he's there. If free agency doesn't hold the answers to our needs at tgat point, our talent pipeline should allow us to address those needs, whatever they are, via trade.

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I think some people genuinely expect the next contending team, 1-9, to be all homegrown players.  Nice idea in theory, but no realistic. 

Anyone expecting that is as misguided and naive as those expecting Correa's $350 million dollar deal to work out as a win for the team, IMO. Trades/FA signings will absolutely be necessary, they just need to be more calculated and careful than this.

Just now, interloper said:

Absolutely wild. 

If true.  We don’t know that this guy has legit sources.  I have never heard his name before in connection with big stories (not that he hasn’t broken them but he’s not exactly known).  So, we have to take this with some grain of salt until more is known.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would have much preferred Seager if we were going to saddle ourselves with a crazy 10 year mega-deal, I think his bat keeps the floor on his value higher than Correa's as the aging process unfolds. Since that obviously is off the table now, I would prefer to simply wait a little longer for our prospects to develop to see where our needs actually exist than to take the plunge on Correa just be ause he's there. If free agency doesn't hold the answers to our needs at tgat point, our talent pipeline should allow us to address those needs, whatever they are, via trade.

Anyone expecting that is as misguided and naive as those expecting Correa's $350 million dollar deal to work out as a win for the team, IMO. Trades/FA signings will absolutely be necessary, they just need to be more calculated and careful than this.

Yea I don’t see how anyone would prefer Seager especially if you are concerned about durability.  

Seager is already showing signs he may have to move off SS.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If true, and even if they don't get him, it proves a willingness that JA and Elias will spend to improve the team when it makes sense to. Like they've said from Day 1. Everything they've said in that initial press conference has come to pass, none of it has been a lie so far. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t see how anyone would prefer Seager especially if you are concerned about durability.  

Seager is already showing signs he may have to move off SS.

Because, like I said, I think his bat keeps his value floor higher over the long haul. If Correa has to move off SS at some point, which is entirely possible (if not probable) once he gets into the back half of his 10 year deal that runs into his late 30s, his value will likely be much more negatively affected than Seager's.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

If true, and even if they don't get him, it proves a willingness that JA and Elias will spend to improve the team when it makes sense to. Like they've said from Day 1. Everything they've said in that initial press conference has come to pass, none of it has been a lie so far. 

C'mon, don't you know how things work around here?  Little Angelos and Elias are just making an offer like that to show us that they can make an offer like that and make us THINK that they can spend money but ultimately won't.  

It's called a "token offer."  And in 10 months from now when we're whining about the Orioles not spending money, someone will invariably bring up THE CORREA OFFER as evidence that they can spend money, at which point they'll be shouted down.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays isn’t getting you anything in trade.

3 WAR in a year he only started hitting in August? Trade Simulator has him at 19.4, obviously less than Mullins but I think you'd get a lot more than nothing back. For what it's worth you've convinced me that trading Mullins would be viable *if* the return is sufficient but I would at least explore Hays first.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have to agree. Correa may not accept if a contender offers a similar deal, but that won't be the Orioles' fault. 

I mean it is their fault if they offer something that they know or don’t think he’ll sign. Not that they’re in the wrong for not going beyond 10/320, but they should know what the market will be. 

43 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

With that said, the Lyles signing (which I did not like) was surprising and showed, perhaps, a willingness to spend.  It was bizarre, and I think you  could have gotten someone for much cheaper, but that was the largest FA contract this team has given out since... Gallardo?

What’s more surprising, Lyles getting a guaranteed $7 million or the Orioles being mentioned whatsoever with one of the top free agents? It’s been a strange off season for sure

• Upvote 1