Orioles Spring Training Rampup

SteveA

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It will be interesting since MASN is making a business decision and not paying for their announcers to be on the road once again despite all national COVID mandates being repealed outside of masks on transportation. 

MASN got shamed into doing a few games last year. They are pretty much doing these broadcasts on a shoestring budget now. Wonder who's cashing all those cable sports fee checks and where that money is going?

Meanwhile the fans get announcers trying to guess on fly balls because all they have is the broadcast feeds. It's embarrassing.

Like a lot of the country figured out, I think MASN learned that they could get people to do jobs cheaper, remotely.  I'm wondering if MASN is the only one doing this or if there are other broadcast teams that aren't going on the road.

I'm sure they're just pocketing the money that they'd otherwise spend.  I'm not really looking forward to the broadcast lineup this year.  

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yep, it's pathetic.  

I wonder if MASN will spring for Roch to go to Sarasota?   Last year he didn't, right?   He just zoomed from Maryland.   Of course the reporters weren't allowed real access to the players anyway.   But now they are.

There was a minor league intrasquad game at Sarasota today that was open to the public, at 11AM.   No one is there to report on it.   Can't access Twitter at work, don't know if anyone in the Twitter-sphere attended and could give us some highlights.    It's March 11 and I still haven't heard a single "the ball looks good coming out of his hand" yet!

That's unfortunate if MASN won't pay for Roch to go to Sarasota. I'm sure he wants to go, and I would enjoy seeing his pics & videos posted to Twitter.

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Revised spring training schedule released.   O's open in Sarasota on the 18th (a week from today) vs Toronto.

Looks like we play 18 games in 19 days between March 18 and April 5.

https://www.mlb.com/schedule/2022-03-18

Now we just have to hope that a bunch of those games will be on the radio and/or televised. I remember in 2019 when Steve Melewski did an online audio-stream of all the games that were not being broadcast by the O's.

Edited by rm5678

On 3/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, Tony-OH said:

It will be interesting since MASN is making a business decision and not paying for their announcers to be on the road once again despite all national COVID mandates being repealed outside of masks on transportation. 

MASN got shamed into doing a few games last year. They are pretty much doing these broadcasts on a shoestring budget now. Wonder who's cashing all those cable sports fee checks and where that money is going?

Meanwhile the fans get announcers trying to guess on fly balls because all they have is the broadcast feeds. It's embarrassing.

Now they can all be Fred Manfra.   

I’m really hoping they send Roch to Florida though.  I need a massive injection of happy talk interviews and multiple blog posts every day.   

• Upvote 2

Non roster invitees announced.  11 pitchers, 6 catchers, 3 infielders, 2 outfielders.

So 62 players in camp, with 26 days to get it down to 26 (or a few more if early season roster limits are raised as expected).

Also, a 19th spring training game @Detroit in Lakeland added for April 6, at the end of the 18 game schedule released a couple days ago.