Bashing The O’s

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I vote that he’s biding his time.   People may agree or disagree with that strategy, but that’s what he’s doing.   He wants the position players to be a bit further along before he starts spending significant money on pitchers, and he also wants to see if any of our home grown pitchers are able to step up so he’ll know how much external pitching he’ll need to acquire.   But there’s no doubt at all he will need to acquire some.

I can understand if he isn't able to spend big on free agent pitching now, or if he thinks the time for that isn't right yet.  But nothing is stopping him from making trades now.  Mullins' value may never be higher--shouldn't we be dealing from our organizational depth in the outfield for young pitching?  

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I can understand if he isn't able to spend big on free agent pitching now, or if he thinks the time for that isn't right yet.  But nothing is stopping him from making trades now.  Mullins' value may never be higher--shouldn't we be dealing from our organizational depth in the outfield for young pitching?  

Mullins' value should be higher at the trade deadline if he hits.  Teams aren't going to value him just on last year.  Last year was definitely an outlier.  If Mullins shows that last year is who he is, the price will go up quite a bit. 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

...  He wants the position players to be a bit further along before he starts spending significant money on pitchers, and he also wants to see if any of our home grown pitchers are able to step up so he’ll know how much external pitching he’ll need to acquire.  ...

The only problem I have with this strategy is you could justify it forever. Give wave #1 a shot. If they suck, well we're not spending until we see what's in wave #2. If they suck...rinse and repeat.

It's highly dependent on the minors, which I'm fine with and you can argue is required in Baltimore, but we're already talking about a largely unspectacular wave #1 and giving wave #2 a chance plus giving wave #1 another chance this year.

At some point the priority has to be winning, and the waves will need to be the supplement, not what the org is depending on.

We're putting a lot of faith in his building of the minors. Hopefully it works to the degree we need.

21 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m sure the other teams that are spending 300 million have those additional costs as well. I’ve hated Peter Angelos for years. Now that he’s not involved I can say that his sons aren’t very different and the MASN stuff is inexcusable 

As my post said...if you want to look at everything in strict black and white and leave no room for gray areas....