Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I always thought we needed to aim for two quality starting pitchers in free agency or by trade this offseason. But with the emergence of Bradish, there may be room for only one:

Wells, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez, ?

It's also going to be tough not to give Voth a chance if he keeps it up.  Coming up on half a season as a starter with a sub-3 ERA.  We could also have Means returning at some point. 

Who could have ever imagined we would be in this situation a year ago?

I agree. I was thinking that we needed two pitchers to go at the top of our rotation. But now I agree we just need a bonafide #1. With all of our young pitchers that have emerged this year, I think we have some serious depth now. The type of depth that the best orgs have. I truly believe we may be a #1 starter away from seriously making a run at a World Series next year.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

He's peaking at the right time to get us to the playoffs. Can he maintain it in October?

A week ago if you told me Bradish could be the Orioles starting pitcher for the wildcard game, I would have assumed the Orioles needed every other starter to clinch a playoff spot so Bradish was the only arm left.

Now if Bradish does start a playoff game, it's going to be based on merit if he keeps this up. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like I could see this potential in Bradish even when he was struggling earlier in the year.  The stuff’s good - real good.  It’s just a matter of commanding it and learning how to pitch.  I see a lot of 2012-16 Chris Tillman in this kid, with higher velo.

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Considering all the amazing pitchers in the 60s, 70s and 80s, this is surprising.

It’s partly because in those days, if you were pitching a 1 or 2 hit shutout through 7 innings, there was no way you were being pulled out of the game.  So, more opportunities to give up runs or hits as you tire.  I went through Jim Palmer’s entire career, and there were only five times when he was pulled after 7 innings while throwing a shutout.  Meanwhile, he threw 53 complete game shutouts.  

17 hours ago, waroriole said:

This is pretty remarkable 

I played with this a little bit.

If you bump it up to three hits you get Bradish, Bundy, Guthrie, Bedard, Palmer, McNally. Once each.

If you make it six innings, still only Bradish, probably because until pretty recently nobody's coming out after six pitching like that.

Of course if you lower it to one or fewer hits Bradish is disqualified and you get the 48 times an Oriole has done that, but never in consecutive games.

If you make it seven innings, no runs, no hit qualifier at all you get four guys who did that three straight games: Palmer, Phoebus, Pappas, Fisher.  All of them were three consecutive shutouts.  In '64 Pappas had a run of three straight complete game shutouts with 11 hits, five walks, 19 Ks total, best of the lot.  39 times Orioles have had consecutive seven inning, no run games. Fisher threw his three straight shutouts in late August/early September of '60 when he was 20, then his next two starts he gave up 10 runs in five innings.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Considering all the amazing pitchers in the 60s, 70s and 80s, this is surprising.

A little, but remember that from the dawn of time until about 20 years ago if you'd pitched seven innings, two hits, no runs you were coming out for the eighth and probably the ninth and chances are you give up a few hits.

The Orioles have had 40 instances of someone pitching consecutive games with 8+ innings, four or fewer hits, one or fewer runs.  I bet a fair number of them had no runs and two hits through seven.  For example, this game Palmer had a one-hitter going to the ninth, gave up a hit and a run in the ninth so it wouldn't count for this list.  But would have counted if they'd pulled him for Don Stanhouse in the 8th.