Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

Also, interesting to see that a 90+ game score was achieved 25 times in the 1954-89 period but only 13 times since then.  I guess that’s not too surprising considering the difference in the success of Baltimore’s pitching staffs in those two eras and the general decline in complete games/long outings by the starters.   I’d never even heard of Jerry Walker.   Shame what happened to him. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, interesting to see that a 90+ game score was achieved 25 times in the 1954-89 period but only 13 times since then.  I guess that’s not too surprising considering the difference in the success of Baltimore’s pitching staffs in those two eras and the general decline in complete games/long outings by the starters.   I’d never even heard of Jerry Walker.   Shame what happened to him. 

Youngest pitcher to ever start an all-star game.  Stayed in the game a long time in a variety of roles. 

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

11 starts since being called back up, 2.67 ERA.

Anyone ready to pencil him into the Opening Day rotation, or is he one of many fighting for a spot going into Spring Training?

I think he has to be considered one of the starters going into next season. He went very slider, curveball heavy last night and it worked obviously. Moving away from his ineffective fastball that he needs to spot well has really helped him, now the question is can he hold up throwing that many breaking balls?

Either way, his performance over his last 11 starts has to give him a spot going into next year's rotation. 

Right now I see him, Grayson Rodriguez, and Wells and Kremer as having spots with a TOR acquired in the offseason as the starting rotation next year. Voth could move to the pen as the right-handed compliment to Akin with and Hall would start in AAA if they keep him in the rotation. If not, Hall would go to the bullpen as well.

Now, they could decide to move Wells to bullpen, but I think he's shown enough when healthy that he can stick as a starter despite not really having that out pitch.

10 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Kudos to Bradish. His improvement is reminiscent of the improvement he made at AAA after getting his feet wet. He just keeps getting better. 

He really has developed when and it's a testament to the Orioles developmental staff and Bradish himself. He's a totally different pitcher then the fastball, curveball guy with the extreme over the top delivery when he was acquired from the Angels.

The next step for him to get his fastball to be more effective consistently and if he can find the feel for that changeup that he flashed earlier in the year, he could end up a TOR. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Right now I see him, Grayson Rodriguez, and Wells and Kremer as having spots with a TOR acquired in the offseason as the starting rotation next year.

Yeah, this is where I am at. Obviously teams end up using more than 5 starters through the course of the season and hopefully Means will be back by the All-Star Break.

The interesting question is going to be what to do with DL Hall. If there isn't going to be a spot for him in the rotation, should he go into spring training as a high-leverage 1-2 inning reliever?

With Voth in the spot-starter / long man role and guys like Zimmermann, Baumann and Rom in the AAA rotation and presumably able to jump in as the 7th-10th starter, I'm not sure it makes sense to send Hall back to AAA when he could be a real asset to the MLB team out of the pen in a season they hope to be competitive. 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He really has developed when and it's a testament to the Orioles developmental staff and Bradish himself. He's a totally different pitcher then the fastball, curveball guy with the extreme over the top delivery when he was acquired from the Angels.

The next step for him to get his fastball to be more effective consistently and if he can find the feel for that changeup that he flashed earlier in the year, he could end up a TOR. 

He sure looked good last night, looked like he had all his pitches working and where he wanted them to.

It’s exciting to think about the potential of the rotation next year: FA, Trade, Grayson, Bradish, Wells, Kremer, Hall & Means returning for second half.    If we are able to acquire two pitchers in the off-season, we will have some considerable high up-side depth in the rotation.  That’s 8 capable starters which is about what you need to get through a season competing for a playoff spot. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It’s exciting to think about the potential of the rotation next year: FA, Trade, Grayson, Bradish, Wells, Kremer, Hall & Means returning for second half.    If we are able to acquire two pitchers in the off-season, we will have some considerable high up-side depth in the rotation.  That’s 8 capable starters which is about what you need to get through a season competing for a playoff spot. 

Personally, I think two starters is overkill and starts to block guys who need to keep developing. We're on track for 80+ wins with Lyles and Voth. Replace those two with Grayson and a Verlander-level guy, bring back Means, and we have a very competitive rotation. If there is an injury, we have assets to acquire another SP at the trade deadline. 

I would send Hall back to AAA as a starter. Add to your list Rom, Baumann, and Zimmermann for depth. I also think Denoyer should start in AAA and could surprise people. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Personally, I think two starters is overkill and starts to block guys who need to keep developing. We're on track for 80+ wins with Lyles and Voth. Replace those two with Grayson and a Verlander-level guy, bring back Means, and we have a very competitive rotation. If there is an injury, we have assets to acquire another SP at the trade deadline. 

I would send Hall back to AAA as a starter. Add to your list Rom, Baumann, and Zimmermann for depth. I also think Denoyer should start in AAA and could surprise people. 

You really can’t count on Means for much in 2023.  He’s more of icing on the cake than anything else.

I think Bradish gets a rotation spot next year.  He's earned it.  Kudos to the developmental staff for figuring out how to get the most out of him.   

In regards to Hall, I'm fine with him being squeezed out with the emergence of Kremer and Wells and perhaps Voth.  Hall hasn't shown any reason to get a rotation spot or a spot on the staff next year.  He's got a lot to work on.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You really can’t count on Means for much in 2023.  He’s more of icing on the cake than anything else.

Agreed, but if we sign a true TOR with Grayson, Bradish, and Kremer you are already competitive 1-4. Means and Hall would be top options to upgrade, but there is always the trade deadline. Of course this may be a false choice, but I'd rather sign one $30M AAV guy than two $15M guys. 

Wells, Bradish, and Kremer have clearly earned spots going into next year.   The assumption is that Rodriguez will get a good chance to win another.  That’s four without knowing how they plan to use Voth or whether they will resign Lyles.   I don’t see them signing and/or acquiring two starting pitchers unless one of Wells/Bradish/Kremer is used in a trade for a bigger fish ( no pun intended Marlins).  I’ve mentioned Nick Lodolo of the Reds previously, a LHP with TOR stuff, IMO.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

100% agree with this. Kudos for Bradish for not having a let down after struggling in his first big league go around. Also, kudos to the staff and Bradish to developing him into a just dude with a nasty slider. The Astros literally can not touch him. 

If by some miracle we make the playoffs, your throw Bradish Game 1. 

Bradish should give us hope that Hall can go back down to AAA and have MLB ST, to get himself right. Kremer did the same thing. A demotion to AAA is not a death sentence.