If there is a glimmer of hope I will not give up on this season

wildcard

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

“We never said anything about trying in 2023.” Orioles this offseason, probably

I don’t expect Elias to ever definitively say, “now we’re going for it and we’re going to be much more aggressive pursuing free agents.”   It will just happen, eventually.  

On 3/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Completely understand and agree on the success thing but you gotta aim superstar when you are just so bad for so long. When in doubt, go pitching or SS.

They went shortstop with their next pick and had some success with him. Of course that shortstop was Ryan Mountcastle.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just curious, but why the .0?  Last I checked, runs weren’t scored in fractions.   

Negative 297 run differential is huge.  Most playoff teams have a positive run differential of 100 or more.  Best teams usually have a run differential of +200 or more.  So the O's need a swing of 400-500 in the run differential department. 

My hope was coming from the impact on pitching that Rutschman was going to have this season. 

It’s been huge imo that he’s missed the chance to start working with them during spring training. 

I do believe, however, that he’ll have noticeable impact beyond just his offense once he’s regularly behind the dish.

Framing skills, calling a game, leading guys out of jams, instilling confidence when it wanes, all of these will help improve our pitching, and that will lead to at least shrinking that run differential if not winning a good number more games whenever he comes up. 

There is nothing wrong with optimism.  Otherwise why would we even follow and watch this team?  I think our bats will have a huge season, with Mountcastle being one of the best hitters in the league.  I also think Mancini will have a really solid season with his cancer recovery even further behind him.  Hays is a beast and will put up production in every facet of the game.  As I said in another thread, Urias is a good player and will continue to exceed expectations.   

With that said, our pitching will struggle.  Expect some really ugly games from our staff.  Hopefully next offseason adding more real MLB-caliber pitchers is the top priority.