Making pitching decisions will be crazy this year

Frobby

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

So I guess that’s a no on saying how any of the above mentioned players were held back?

Bonderman certainly has embiggened himself in your eyes, but to me he’s a below league average SP for the entirety of his career. 

Embiggened?

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Literally nothing to do with the original discussion. Just a diversion since your original comment was proven wrong. 

Proven?

I don't see how.

It isn't exactly something that can be proven.

They could have pitched more.  The O's chose not to.  You can agree or disagree with the decision but you can't deny that they could have given the group, as a whole, more ML innings.

5 hours ago, waroriole said:

I expect the pitching staff to have at least 8 guys who can give 3-4 innings out of the gate. It’ll be a good way to evaluate a lot of people at once and see who’s effective. With Grayson and possibly Hall coming up in the summer, I could see this continuing all year. Means and Lyles might be the only guys who pitch like traditional SP this year. 

Since the O's have all these 3-4 inning starters, they should try piggybacking them.  It gives the bullpen a break if you can get 7 or 8 innings out of 2 pitchers who would otherwise get knocked out in the 4th or 5th innings most starts.

On 3/26/2022 at 11:28 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Since the O's have all these 3-4 inning starters, they should try piggybacking them.  It gives the bullpen a break if you can get 7 or 8 innings out of 2 pitchers who would otherwise get knocked out in the 4th or 5th innings most starts.

Roch is suggesting the bottom 3 starters in the rotation could all be piggybacked in April or however long the 28 man roster lasts. 

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Jorge Lopez gave up another run in 1 IP, now 5ER in 5.1 IP for the spring. Any chance he pitches himself off the team?

Not likely considering who else is on the pitching staff and the fact that they are paying him 1.5m.

I’ve heard Dean Kremer described as “the lead dog” among the group that’s jockeying for position behind John Means and Jordan Lyles - though it was said before Bruce Zimmermann’s outing yesterday with one unearned run in three innings. The Orioles liked how Kremer threw against the Phillies, despite the two home runs in three innings.

The Orioles are committed to stretching out Tyler Wells and making him a starter, for however many innings he can provide early in a tandem, and the other spot could come down to Zimmermann or Zac Lowther. There might be more piggybacking at the back end.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/some-thoughts-on-camp-roster-and-orioles-plans-moving-forward.html

This is shocking to me, Kremer must look impressive on the back fields if they think he looks better than Zimmerman/Lowther/Wells. His start against the Phillies just seemed like more of the same from him.

37 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/some-thoughts-on-camp-roster-and-orioles-plans-moving-forward.html

This is shocking to me, Kremer must look impressive on the back fields if they think he looks better than Zimmerman/Lowther/Wells. His start against the Phillies just seemed like more of the same from him.

Seems likely that all 6 will essentially be in the rotation, with Wells piggybacking with either Zimmerman or Lowther. 

Kremer isn't going to piggyback with Wells, as they are both righties.

Bruce Zimmerman should absolutely get a spot in the rotation.

He was our 2nd best starting pitcher last season in terms of ERA, ERA+, and WHIP (out of pitchers who started at least 7 games).

Plus he had a nice outing yesterday. Could have been a perfect 3 innings had it not been for that error.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Nathan Ruiz of the Sun does not agree with this.   From this morning:

"Kremer’s not a front-runner for one of those after spending much of the 2021 season in the minors, but a return to form could prompt him to enter the conversation. "

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-players-need-big-seasons-20220331-kxvp2lxarveffl52oepyjjch5u-story.html

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nathan Ruiz of the Sun does not agree with this.   From this morning:

"Kremer’s not a front-runner for one of those after spending much of the 2021 season in the minors, but a return to form could prompt him to enter the conversation. "

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-players-need-big-seasons-20220331-kxvp2lxarveffl52oepyjjch5u-story.html

Yeah that sharply contrasts with "lead dog" to be the #3 starter. Its possible Roch heard from someone in the FO whose a Kremer fan and not necessarily in the running for anything but a piggyback spot, but what do I know.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:15 AM, jabba72 said:

Kremer with another Kremer-like start today. 4 ER in 4 IP with 3 BB's and 7 H, just ugly. Spring ERA stands at 8.00. But the ball is coming out of his hand well! I can't believe this guy makes the team let alone the starting rotation. Is it too late to go with Lowther or Bradish? 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, Frobby said:

I wonder how many times we’ll resort to having a position player pitch this year.  Last year Valaika, Wilkerson and Wynns all got their turn.   Apparently position players had to be at the end of the alphabet to qualify for a mound appearance 

Any less than top prospect for the O's should be working on their pitching on the side.  Mop up guy was a big part of Valaika and Wilkerson's value.