DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Roch's update on DL in extended spring training:

Left-hander DL Hall, on the development list with Double-A Bowie, is healthy and in Sarasota to build up innings after making only seven starts in 2021.

“He’s been getting his innings when he can in live batting practice,” Packer said. “He actually has one coming up again. He threw the other day. He looks great. He’s got the velo, it’s still there. So, it’s more about getting his innings up so he’s ready to go. He’s progressing and he’s built up his innings a little bit more and more every time he gets out there, and it’s obviously a lot of fun to watch him pitch.”

Like his one inning against the Phillies in Clearwater, when his fastball climbed from 98.7 mph to 99.6 to 100 to strike out Mickey Moniak. His 11 four-seamers averaged 99.1 mph and he retired the side in order with a second strikeout.

“Even with no fans in the stadium and it’s just live BP on the back fields, it’s like, ‘OK, this is going to be really cool to see,’” Packer said.

• Upvote 1

It is uttterly ridiculous that those build up innings are not against live competition. I absolute hate how this teams coddles their pitching prospects. Let the kid pitch already. If he's throwing 99 MPH, he's ready for goodness sake. 

You wanna keep him on a tight pitch count for a bit, fine, but let him pitch in the minors and not hidden away in the Orioles secret lab spaces where they can keep Hall hidden from everyone. 

How much build up do you need? the guy was pitching in Florida againt live hitters in mid-March. We're a month+ away from that and they're still claiming he's building innings.

It's just ridiculous. At this rate, we'll be lucky to see Hall at the major league level in a starter's role in 2024.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It is uttterly ridiculous that those build up innings are not against live competition. I absolute hate how this teams coddles their pitching prospects. Let the kid pitch already. If he's throwing 99 MPH, he's ready for goodness sake. 

You wanna keep him on a tight pitch count for a bit, fine, but let him pitch in the minors and not hidden away in the Orioles secret lab spaces where they can keep Hall hidden from everyone. 

How much build up do you need? the guy was pitching in Florida againt live hitters in mid-March. We're a month+ away from that and they're still claiming he's building innings.

It's just ridiculous. At this rate, we'll be lucky to see Hall at the major league level in a starter's role in 2024.

They are having their first extended spring training game against another opponent (Pirates) today.  Matt Harvey is starting, and Rico Garcia, who missed last year with TJ surgery, will follow.  I guess DL will get into one of those soon.

We don't like the answers we are getting but I do appreciate Roch's in depth post this morning about the status of all the guys at extended spring training.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It is uttterly ridiculous that those build up innings are not against live competition.

This doesn't seem to be limited to pitchers though. They're taking it extra slow with all of these guys. I guess the goal is to prevent reinjury, but it's a REALLY slow process when someone gets injured in birdland.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Im hopeful his pitch count is already built up and he can go 75-80 pitches his first Aberdeen start. Might be optimistic but I thought I read thats what Elias wanted him to do in Sarasota. Build up his stamina.

I’d be surprised if that’s their plan.  I think they’re saving as many innings as they can for his likely promotion to Baltimore later this summer.

Phillies High-A Jersey Shore has SS Casey Martin batting 2nd.

My memory is the Westburg draft night, Arkansas Razorback Casey Martin was the "Best Available" on the MLB crawl for sometime approaching and after the Westburg pick.    His A ball season last year was a little tough, and start in his repeat hasn't been that great yet.

Jersey Shore pretty solidly Bottom Three in Sally run differential in the first few weeks.

https://www.milb.com/standings/south-atlantic/