DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

10 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

In 16, Rajsich was told by Duquette to draft pitchers - Sedlock, Akin, and Dietz where his choices.  In 18, he was told to draft a ss-  Grenier.  

Yup. And of the 9 pitchers drafted after Sedlock (through the end of the comp round), 4 haven't made the Majors and the other 4 have a combined rWAR of 4.4 (with 3.0 coming from Dakota Hudson).

Of the 13 pitchers drafted in the second round (where Akin and Dietz were drafted), Akin is one of only 4 to pitch in the Majors and has the second best rWAR of the group at -0.1. As a group, the pitchers drafted in the second round of the 2016 draft have totaled -0.4 rWAR to date.

Of the 24 players drafted around Grenier, (12 before and 12 after) a total of 6 have reached the Majors for a total of 2.1 rWAR (coming almost entirely from Shane McClanahan and Kris Bubic). 

Cherry picking late first rounders and second round MLB draft picks that didn't have Major League success is really silly, the hit rate is five percent at most.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Per Roch:

DL Hall also threw today but will stay back longer after sustaining an elbow injury last June that limited him to seven starts at Double-A Bowie.

“This is a little bit more of a medically tinged buildup, and also much more mindful of where his innings total is going to land for him this year, and we’re trying to get in a position where we’re not having to shut him down artificially in September,” Elias said. “That will be a little bit longer, but he’s looking terrific and feeling healthy, and it will be something similar where we get him up to that four-, five-inning mark and then get him out to an affiliate. Probably start him at a lower level than he would otherwise start just coming off the injury, which is typical practice.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/04/elias-on-roster-pitching-improvement-matt-harvey-and-more.html

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per Roch:

DL Hall also threw today but will stay back longer after sustaining an elbow injury last June that limited him to seven starts at Double-A Bowie.

“This is a little bit more of a medically tinged buildup, and also much more mindful of where his innings total is going to land for him this year, and we’re trying to get in a position where we’re not having to shut him down artificially in September,” Elias said. “That will be a little bit longer, but he’s looking terrific and feeling healthy, and it will be something similar where we get him up to that four-, five-inning mark and then get him out to an affiliate. Probably start him at a lower level than he would otherwise start just coming off the injury, which is typical practice.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/04/elias-on-roster-pitching-improvement-matt-harvey-and-more.html

Orioles on using their young pitchers: Never move move your Fabergé Eggs until you have to.

At some point you have to unwrap your toys and play with them. I'm not sure other teams handle their returning injured and young pitchers with such caution. Maybe it will work out, but until I start seeing Orioles organizational pitchers make it the majors and remain healthier than other teams, I'm going to be skeptical of their extreme caution they always seem to show.

Hall did not even have a surgery yet he hasn't pitched in a meaningful game since last May. Even if he's throwing an inning or two, he can do that at Bowie not down in purgatory of Sarasota. 

Asking out of ignorance here... 

Who (staff-wise) is still in Sarasota for extended ST?  Mostly medical/trainer types?  Developmental/coaching guys?  I assume some sort of mix.  I guess I'm wondering if there is someone in Sarasota (like some pitching or training guru) who Elias would rather Hall be around than whoever is in Bowie?

14 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Asking out of ignorance here... 

Who (staff-wise) is still in Sarasota for extended ST?  Mostly medical/trainer types?  Developmental/coaching guys?  I assume some sort of mix.  I guess I'm wondering if there is someone in Sarasota (like some pitching or training guru) who Elias would rather Hall be around than whoever is in Bowie?

I think all the coaches who eventually will handle the FCL teams are down there, plus a few other development guys.   And they do have a guy who is the rehab coordinator but I don’t think Hall is really rehabbing at this point.   

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

. Probably start him at a lower level than he would otherwise start just coming off the injury, which is typical practice.”

Ah, there we go.  Maybe Elias will let him make it to AAA by the end of the year!

As fate would have it, traveling we will happen to be near Binghamton Friday night and may try and support the visiting Baysox.   Re-reading this thread it sounds like the chance of Hall being game ready this week is low.

We'll start to see this week if important starters are taking Turn2 on 5-days rest or 4-days rest.   Regular plug that in 2021 MLB, 5-days became more common than 4-days for the first time in MLB history.

49 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

As fate would have it, traveling we will happen to be near Binghamton Friday night and may try and support the visiting Baysox.   Re-reading this thread it sounds like the chance of Hall being game ready this week is low.

We'll start to see this week if important starters are taking Turn2 on 5-days rest or 4-days rest.   Regular plug that in 2021 MLB, 5-days became more common than 4-days for the first time in MLB history.

I’m fully expecting 5 days’ rest to be the norm in the minors this year, with the automatic off day every Monday.    Only when a pitcher starts on Tuesday is there really going to be an opportunity to pitch on four days’ rest without the off day intervening.  Last week only Norfolk played on Tuesday, and Kevin Smith started that game and then pitched in long relief on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m fully expecting 5 days’ rest to be the norm in the minors this year, with the automatic off day every Monday.    Only when a pitcher starts on Tuesday is there really going to be an opportunity to pitch on four days’ rest without the off day intervening.  Last week only Norfolk played on Tuesday, and Kevin Smith started that game and then pitched in long relief on Sunday. 

True, but teams' priority plays will give extra opportunities beyond Tuesday-Sunday.   If Matt Blood wanted Grayson to pitch on 4-days rest tomorrow, the Norfolk rotation is a controllable thing.   

I agree I don't expect many important pitchers to go on 4-days rest much this year.   Jordan Lyles might a lot though :)