DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

12 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

DL Hall is probably ready now for MLB hitters, but he's only pitched 31.2 innings at AA ball. With the way Elias has slow walked other prospects, I won't be surprised if Hall starts the year at Bowie. He might only stick around a month before getting promoted to Norfolk, but there's a good chance it happens. 

If the team was in a contender, the team very well may have just used him as an electric reliever, but he's got starter's stuff with a plus curveball and change as well. He needs to be groomed as a starter unless he gets hurt again or doesn't hold up, then you have to consider getting him up in the majors as a reliever. 

He's good enough to pitch in the majors, but I'm sure the Orioles are more worried about getting him through the season healthy. I still think we could see him in the second half of the season, but I doubt he throws over 100 IP this season.

• Upvote 1

BTW

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The horse race for Best Pitching Prospect in Baseball next offseason is one he's in.

The top slice of this year's lists:

-Grayson (Orioles could go 1-2 if he doesn't graduate)

-Baz should graduate if his current minor problem stays that way

-Cavalli is kind of Hall's MASN evil twin

-Leiter is perhaps the favorite, though in perfect world, Hall will show him that college is for low-talent guys.

With Elias having felt compelled to say "long" in addition to "build-up" about Sarasota, despite today's excitement, games-pitches wise I'm now visualizing something like 20 games and 1200 pitches.    Hopefully a lot of fun, though could be tough for that to be a platform for anymore than 24 games/1800 pitches (100 innings?) in 2023.

BTW, people can say what they want about Gary Rajisch, but he drafted both Rodriguez and Hall outside of the top 10. The Orioles haven't had a high school drafted pitching prospect with their potential ever make the major leagues. Let's hope they break that barrier and then let's thank Rajsich for his selections!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

His stuff is too good for AAA. Hopefully he is just there for a start or two before moving to majors.

If the Orioles were contending he would be an elite bullpen arm right now.

FTFY

I know that is not what is happening but................

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW

BTW, people can say what they want about Gary Rajisch, but he drafted both Rodriguez and Hall outside of the top 10. The Orioles haven't had a high school drafted pitching prospect with their potential ever make the major leagues. Let's hope they break that barrier and then let's thank Rajsich for his selections!

Where is Gary now?  If he is not with another ball club they should invite him back for Grayson and DL debuts.   At the least.

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW

Yeah, I've defended Rajisch quite a bit on here.  Considering how many picks he lost and where he was drafting he did a pretty darn good job.  Means, Mouncastle, Mullins, Hays, Mancini and a few others, including guys like Hader and Yastremszki who had success elsewhere.  Not to mention of course Rodriguez and Hall.

• Upvote 1

Some of what will be fun about the mix we'll get to enjoy is Decision Sciences would likely have preferred a college bat with data to DL Hall or Grayson Rodriguez.

Once Elias' first few years draft taste became so clear, I've occasionally poked around at their draft years to see what Elias probably would have done from that slot, given who was available and signed later for less.   I couldn't find an obvious Not DL Hall pick, but I think that Not Grayson Rodriguez pick may have been something like Trevor Larnach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Some of what will be fun about the mix we'll get to enjoy is Decision Sciences would likely have preferred a college bat with data to DL Hall or Grayson Rodriguez.

Once Elias' first few years draft taste became so clear, I've occasionally poked around at their draft years to see what Elias probably would have done from that slot, given who was available and signed later for less.   I couldn't find an obvious Not DL Hall pick, but I think that Not Grayson Rodriguez pick may have been something like Trevor Larnach.

If you take the easy way out and say that Elias would have selected the next college outfielder drafted, the Not DL Hall pick would be Jeren Kendall.

I think the clips from Hall's spring training appearance was the first time I have ever seen him pitch. Just want to reiterate how "Wow!" it was. I haven't seen multiple hitters walking away from the plate shaking their heads in frustration after facing an Orioles pitcher in a long time. Hall is going to be incredibly fun, must-watch TV. I definitely hope we get to see Hall in Baltimore sooner than later. Watching him pitch really brought home how much more fun the team will be to watch when the top prospects are on the major league team. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, Tony-OH said:

BTW

Bundy.

• Haha 1