DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Threw 100 pitches which is good but was obviously a poor outing.  Ever since the break, he has been bad.  Wonder what happened considering he was so dominant before the break.

Maybe he realized he’s not going to Baltimore this year.

I don't understand the need of some around here to rush Hall to Baltimore. Yes I get that seeing him dominate in 1 inning stints as a reliever would be fun, but he obviously has things he still needs to work on. This will also be his first full developmental year since 2019, so that probably shouldn't be surprising. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I don't understand the need of some around here to rush Hall to Baltimore. Yes I get that seeing him dominate in 1 inning stints as a reliever would be fun, but he obviously has things he still needs to work on. This will also be his first full developmental year since 2019, so that probably shouldn't be surprising. 

Can someone please explain to me this mindset that things can not be worked on in the majors?

At some point he needs to learn how to pitch to ML hitters.  Wouldn't you rather him start making that adjustment now and not in a year they are hoping to contend?

I think going into an offseason with that experience under his belt will only help his future development.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can someone please explain to me this mindset that things can not be worked on in the majors?

At some point he needs to learn how to pitch to ML hitters.  Wouldn't you rather him start making that adjustment now and not in a year they are hoping to contend?

I think going into an offseason with that experience under his belt will only help his future development.

I think the jump is hard even when you are dominating at Triple-A (see Kyle Bradish), and bringing up Hall to make these kind of starts in the majors would have a domino impact on the bullpen that is detrimental to the team. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think the jump is hard even when you are dominating at Triple-A (see Kyle Bradish), and bringing up Hall to make these kind of starts in the majors would have a domino impact on the bullpen that is detrimental to the team. 

Apart from that Hall has clear things he needs to work on, I don't see the problem with him working on those things against lesser competition in a less pressured environment where results don't matter as much. Seems pretty logical to me. I don't really see the rush, I agree with the club's general approach of being sure a player is ready before bringing him up, I don't think it's beneficial to bring them up when they're not ready and see their stock drop seriously...look how that's worked out with Torkelson and Kelenic. 

Meanwhile you win with the service time game. If Hall was clearly ready and dominating AAA like Grayson was I can understand the complaint, but until that happens I can't really find fault with the club's approach.

14 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Hall is going to fall out of the top 100 at this rate

A bit drastic and reactionary, this, no? Don't think he's anywhere close to that point. 

Edited by Flash- bd
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the experience of not being able to throw a ball in the strike zone with ML umpires is going to teach something that not being able to throw the ball in the strike zone to MiL umps doesn't.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

So the experience of not being able to throw a ball in the strike zone with ML umpires is going to teach something that not being able to throw the ball in the strike zone to MiL umps doesn't.

Sure.

Even going by your extremely narrowed, manicured example he will get experience in what constitutes a ML strikezone as opposed to how they are called in the minors.

You don't think Adley for example, had to adapt to the ML strikezone?

48 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think the jump is different for each player and that Bradish isn't good comp for Hall.

I also think that the theoretical additional workload on the bullpen is rather minor.  Low leverage innings are a thing.

Did anyone actually watch this game? If so, can you say what you saw appeared to be the problem?  Did his velocity appear ok?  Were they seemingly sitting on certain pitches?  Was he ridiculously wild, or just missing slightly outside of the zone?  Any input would be appreciated. 

10 hours ago, seak05 said:

Not to mention batters are getting on base 1/3 of the time against him, his whip is higher than it’s been since his first year in pro ball and he’s getting hit fairly hard when giving up hits.  I don’t think he will be up until he shows he can consistently throw strikes.  It’s been a breath of fresh air this year to see BBs go down across the board.  I don’t think he has a chance at success until he can lower the free passes.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

Did anyone actually watch this game? If so, can you say what you saw appeared to be the problem?  Did his velocity appear ok?  Were they seemingly sitting on certain pitches?  Was he ridiculously wild, or just missing slightly outside of the zone?  Any input would be appreciated. 

He threw an insane amount of non-competitive pitches….like 12”-24” outside of zone.  Got behind almost every batter 1-0 & 2-0.  Think I saw 2 or 3 batters he started off with a strike.  When he throws a strike it gets hit hard.  Not many cheap hits.   Batters sit on fastballs because he can’t throw spinners for strikes.  Gave up a bunch of absolute no doubt bombs.  He would get abused at the MLB level right now.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Better outing last night but still some issues.

5.1 and gave up 2 runs and struck out 8. But he also walked 3.

He threw 99 pitches.  He did throw also 65% of them for strikes.  With his stuff, it’s odd to me that he can throw a high percentage of strikes but still have that many walks and be that inefficient with his pitch count/innings pitched.

I have noticed this in other starts too.  Are they fouling a ton of balls off of him?      Is he missing fewer bats? (That would be hard to believe)

Just an odd issue for him to have.  I get it when he had his last outing and threw like 57% for strikes but not when he is mid 60s or higher.