DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Good start for Hall.

Stuff:
Fastball: 94-98, lots of swings and misses
Slider: 86-88, probably the pitch he can throw for strikes most consistently. Pretty flat but good horizontal movement for good back door pitch against right-handers. Decent left on left pitch.
Change: 86-87, got some swings and misses and able to throw for some strikes, but he wasn't commanding it well. Note, he shook off Nottingham in his 4th inning on a 3-2 count and wanted to throw the change. he missed high with the pitch, but it shows he's trying to improve the pitch and wasn't worried about the walk.
Curve: 82, was his least used pitch and buries it in the dirt a bit too much. Good vertical and decent horizontal movement though.

Pitches quickly when he gets on the rubber but seems to go to the rosin bag, dirt on the mound, or cleans his spikes after every pitch. Not afraid to shake off catcher, but did not always execute the pitch he wanted to throw. Very athletic guy getting off the mound. Good quick accurate pick off throw.

Pros: Obvious he's a 4-pitch guy who is extremely tough to hit. Not a comfortable at bat for either righties or lefties. The stuff is legit.

Cons: Took him 78-pitches to get through 4 innings and that has to improve. He gets in deep counts on almost everyone and still throws too many uncompetitive pitches. 

Assessment: Needs more time in the minors to work on the command if he's going to be a starter. He can pitch in relief right now no doubt. Probably would throw consistently 100 mph as a reliever, but he's got a starter's repertoire so he needs to stay there.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good start for Hall.

Stuff:
Fastball: 94-98, lots of swings and misses
Slider: 86-88, probably the pitch he can throw for strikes most consistently. Pretty flat but good horizontal movement for good back door pitch against right-handers. Decent left on left pitch.
Change: 86-87, got some swings and misses and able to throw for some strikes, but he wasn't commanding it well. Note, he shook off Nottingham in his 4th inning on a 3-2 count and wanted to throw the change. he missed high with the pitch, but it shows he's trying to improve the pitch and wasn't worried about the walk.
Curve: 82, was his least used pitch and buries it in the dirt a bit too much. Good vertical and decent horizontal movement though.

Pitches quickly when he gets on the rubber but seems to go to the rosin bag, dirt on the mound, or cleans his spikes after every pitch. Not afraid to shake off catcher, but did not always execute the pitch he wanted to throw. Very athletic guy getting off the mound. Good quick accurate pick off throw.

Pros: Obvious he's a 4-pitch guy who is extremely tough to hit. Not a comfortable at bat for either righties or lefties. The stuff is legit.

Cons: Took him 78-pitches to get through 4 innings and that has to improve. He gets in deep counts on almost everyone and still throws too many uncompetitive pitches. 

Assessment: Needs more time in the minors to work on the command if he's going to be a starter. He can pitch in relief right now no doubt. Probably would throw consistently 100 mph as a reliever, but he's got a starter's repertoire so he needs to stay there.

Hall obviously has great stuff.  Why hasn't he been getting good results in AAA? I would be surprised to see him up before late August/September unless he makes dramatic improvement.

20 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hall obviously has great stuff.  Why hasn't he been getting good results in AAA? I would be surprised to see him up before late August/September unless he makes dramatic improvement.

He only allowed one hit and two walks today, so he was fine. It's more about command for him. Give him some time.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Only pitched 31 2/3 innings last year and no minor leagues in 2020.Has a little over 21 innings so far this year How many innings will he pitch this year?

I imagine they are trying to keep him around or under 100 this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the O's are in a pennant race in August, you can bet he'll be added to our team. Probably will anyway, but for now it sounds like it's better to let him settle in at AA, work on pitch efficiency and going deeper into games, and then see where he is in a month or two.

Thanks to @Tony-OHfor the updated breakdown. The AAA IP obviously mean something here. He’s working on his repertoire. Only 1 hit allowed. He and GR are in different places right now. 

Sure we could rush Hall to the MLB and he’d probably be Gausman 2.0 for us. In a non competitive year, I’d rather Hall work on all 4 pitches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he'd be perfect to call up and let him do something similar to Akin.  He can work on his command up here, maybe gain some confidence attacking hitters for 2-3 innings at a time.  Gets his feet wet at the ML level and keeps his innings down.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think he'd be perfect to call up and let him do something similar to Akin.  He can work on his command up here, maybe gain some confidence attacking hitters for 2-3 innings at a time.  Gets his feet wet at the ML level and keeps his innings down.

I think his next outing should be in Baltimore.  I don’t disagree that another 2-4 weeks in AAA won’t kill him but I would rather see those innings up here.