Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe, but they have two open spots now and have four days to clear more space. Perhaps it is based on performance of the players involved. If Scott and Sulser perform to a certain level, we get a player from a short "A list," and if not, we get a player from "B list." Could be the guy they just DFA'd, RHP Neidert. Sort of a RH version of Lowther. If he clears waivers, they outright him and send him to Baltimore. 

If he gets Neidert too (seems spot on, perfect fit), that’s a good trade. Hats off to him. You do that deal all day long. 

9 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

If he gets Neidert too (seems spot on, perfect fit), that’s a good trade. Hats off to him. You do that deal all day long. 

Honestly, I do the deal even without the PTBNL. They obviously like Antonio Velez and Kevin Guerrero, but Elias has picked two Comp B picks since he has been here, Kyle Stowers and Reed Trimble. Besides the extra bonus pool add, it can be a good prospect as well, maybe an over slot.

The Guerrero kid is obviously one they liked, and he signed for 600K; so a 6"-03" 165 lb. rangy CF with good plate discipline is a nice solid pick-up. Similar profile to Mishael Deson.

The Velez kid sounds like a possible pen arm, but currently a starter. Perhaps he gets a tick up on the FB in the pen, though it currently has great vertical/down movement. I read he has a low 80's slider, but maybe that gets a little firmer and tighter. The change-up is supposed to be plus to double plus, and the command is the same. 

I do not think they are done making deals before opening day. There are still a few on the roster that are vulnerable, and the needs are obvious. 

Just now, interloper said:

@Tony-OHAny thoughts on where Velez might slot in the prospect list? I'm assuming outside of the top 30, but he sounds more interesting than a guy like Smith to me. A great change up can make the whole pitcher, like our current ace.

Well as you know, I'm not big on Smith who did make my top 30. I need to see some video of him before making that call. They must have taken away the ability to see last year's games on MiLBTV because I couldn't get them to come up. 

I imagine he starts at Bowie this year so let's see how he looks. I like lefties with great changeups.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's if you believe this trade makes the bullpen markedly worse. I'm not so sure it does, but we will see!

Despite the age situation Sulser was probably our best reliever. I don’t think anyone can dispute that based on last seasons Scott can be either dominant or bad. He’s likely to be the same guy moving forward. But, there is also a chance he could finally put it all together. Hard to imagine the young guys stepping right in and being better. It’s like @wildcard’s dream of Gray Rod and Hall being dominant right out of the gate. Possible but extremely unlikely.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this podcast.

Not sure if anyone else listens to the Orioles Locked on Podcast but big fan of it. The guy that does it is a smart cookie and always enjoy his takes.

He is a bit concerned about losing Culser. Take a listen:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/orioles-trade-cole-sulser-and-tanner-scott-to-the/id1351965013?i=1000556162096

Always good to hear other takes//opinions. 

As another poster on here astutely mentioned, if Nick Neidert is the other piece, he might be a rotation/piggy back piece. I think that adds to the attractiveness of the trade for me.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/marlins-nick-neidert-designated-for-assignment/

I will miss Sulser more than Scott.   Sulser was nothing special, but he was reasonably consistent and reliable last year.   Scott has been so inconsistent in his career.  He’d come into a game and usually within 3-4 pitches you’d know whether this was one of those days when he would dominate, or one where he’d just be all over the place.  People kept hoping he’d be the next Andrew Miller if he could harness his stuff, but he never did in his 4 seasons here.  Maybe the light bulb will come on in Miami, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over losing him.   

As to the return, to me it’s nothing amazing but it is fair value.   We’re giving up bullpen innings today for possible contributions in a few years.   We’ll probably know this year if Velez is a potential contributor or not; the Dominican OF is 3-4 years away at least and it will be several years before the Comp B pick has any chance to contribute.   

Note to wildcard: if you don’t like the trade now, I really doubt the PTBNL is going to change your mind.   

Updated the opening post so people wouldn't have to hunt for the details and added info about the guys we got. Sorry I didn't get a chance to do so last night.

Sulser will be missed in the short term as he was solid last year. I think Felix Bautista can step right into Scott's role as a reliever with great stuff and inconsistent results, and hopefully will be a more effective pitcher in a year or two.

• Upvote 2