Elias expects hitting to be good and pitching to struggle

Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I guess the question really is:

How will this team perform with Rutschman catching, Rodriguez and Hall in the rotation?  I think those guys will certainly help but won't be enough to make a huge difference- maybe we win 60 games instead of 50?

While we have a number of other intriguing prospects, I'm not sure any of them are really that close to the majors.  We can what Stowers does and Neustrom (off to a good start)...   I think Mayo, Westburg, Henderson are still a full year or more away...

Well, that's exactly what it's going to take:

Time.

This team will be better this summer than last year; they will add 2-3 legitimate major league pieces this year.  Then they need to do that next year.  And be better still.  And the year after.  Ad infinitum.

The question to me has always been: How long will that take?  And what is the optimal route?

But if we're not better this year, we have a problem.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You don't think the plan is for him to get ML time this year?

Not in the rotation.

How many innings do you think he gets this year?]

He pitched 31 innings last year and Elias is having him repeat AA.

Whatever innings he gets in the majors will be bullpen innings.  I guess he might have some "opener" starts but that isn't functionally different than bullpen work.

The way Elias builds innings he won't be a full on rotation member until 2024 and that if things go right.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not in the rotation.

How many innings do you think he gets this year?]

He pitched 31 innings last year and Elias is having him repeat AA.

Whatever innings he gets in the majors will be bullpen innings.  I guess he might have some "opener" starts but that isn't functionally different than bullpen work.

The way Elias builds innings he won't be a full on rotation member until 2024 and that if things go right.

Well, I'm not sure Elias is radically different from other GMs when it comes to pitcher usage or development.

I think they'd like Hall to get ~100 innings this year.

With probably as much as that in the MLs as is prudent and possible.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, I'm not sure Elias is radically different from other GMs when it comes to pitcher usage or development.

I think they'd like Hall to get ~100 innings this year.

With probably as much as that in the MLs as is prudent and possible.

OK so ~100 innings this year, ~130 in 2023 means he's good for a full time rotation spot in 2024.

As for prudent?  He struck out 15.9/9 last year.  It wouldn't be imprudent to stick him in a ML bullpen at 23.

Was anyone suggesting that having Tyler Wells pitch out of the bullpen last year was imprudent? 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK so ~100 innings this year, ~130 in 2023 means he's good for a full time rotation spot in 2024.

As for prudent?  He struck out 15.9/9 last year.  It wouldn't be imprudent to stick him in a ML bullpen at 23.

Was anyone suggesting that having Tyler Wells pitch out of the bullpen last year was imprudent? 

Yeah, I don't get it.  So what's your beef?

He's probably going to spend the next two years in the MLs, pitching as a swing man, getting experience and building up innings.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, I don't get it.  So what's your beef?

He's probably going to spend the next two years in the MLs, pitching as a swing man, getting experience and building up innings.

I don't really have a beef?

I mean I think it's stupid to start him in AA but I don't think it will do him any harm.

I just don't think he's going to be a full on rotation piece until 2024, which is what I said in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean I think it's stupid to start him in AA but I don't think it will do him any harm.

I just don't think he's going to be a full on rotation piece until 2024, which is what I said in the first place.

We’ll see if he’s ever a full on rotation piece.   

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, you seemed to be blaming it on Elias so........ seemed like you were beefing.  And now calling it stupid....lol

He's going to be up here in 2-3 months, so long as he's healthy and successful.  

And then he's likely to be used as suggested before.  At least initially.

And I think it is all quite practical.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, you seemed to be blaming it on Elias so........ seemed like you were beefing.  And now calling it stupid....lol

He's going to be up here in 2-3 months, so long as he's healthy and successful.  

And then he's likely to be used as suggested before.  At least initially.

And I think it is all quite practical.

I do think it's stupid to start him at Bowie.

Why not give him innings with the ML ball and against a higher level of competition?

What's he going to learn in a return to AA?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not give him innings with the ML ball and against a higher level of competition?

Ehh, none of this matters.  All that matters is Elias knows more than you and we should just be good with everything he does.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I mean... you're talking about probably a handful of appearances at most.

He's going to pitch again for the first time in a year.  That's what he's going to "learn."