Delmarva Shorebirds "break camp" roster

MurphDogg

9 hours ago, bobmc said:

Per Melewski, "Pitcher Carter Baumler, who will likely join Delmarva, is still building up innings at extended spring training. He is fully healthy."

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/04/more-os-minor-league-break-camp-roster-information.html

Ok, perhaps. But he's had a long time to build up innings. He could easily be in a strict pitch count or innings limit at Delmarva and pitch against age appropriate talent.

I honestly don't know whether it's just Blood's extraordinary reluctance to pitch his top pitching prospects against age appropriate talent, he's got something that put him back, or that Baumler may not be as good as we'd hope.

Remember, he was pitching in the first intrasquad game. There is no reason if he was healthy that he should not have broken camp with Delmarva.

Most likely he either tweaked something that put him behind or he's not very good and needs to work on things. 

It's just very disappointing.

As for Creed, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they gave him a million dollars because he was good. If he can't make Delmarva it shows he's quite the project and that usually spells trouble.

Both in my eyes drop down as prospects for not making a full season club.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

They are doing the same thing with him as with DL Hall.   They don’t want him reaching his innings limit for the year in early July.   Makes sense to me.

As to Willems, I think he’s a bit raw and always assumed he’d start in the FCL.   But let’s see where he finishes.  

They have to cut this crap out and get guys on the damn mound. The Orioles codify their pitchers like no other organization. He can pitch in relief and throw a few innings here and there and learn how to get guys out. 

As for Willems, sure, he's a project, but kids who get a million dollars should be ready for Delmarva at 19 or you have to hope they are late bloomers. Either way, he's off my personal top 30 list for now.

Brad Ciolek said in a recent “On The Verge” pod that Creed has really loud tools but needs “more seasoning” with the player development people. Perhaps there are things they can accomplish in Sarasota that they cannot in Delmarva. Like shedding some of that baby fat, re-tooling the swing, simulator work for swing decisions, and catching mechanics work. 

I don’t get how this somehow impacts the prospect status of Baumler or Willems. That happened fast. Not for me anyway. 

They are being cautious with Baumler, sure. He is 17 months post-surgery and building up. Probably some mechanical work, pitch shaping, strengthening and such. If he moves up in a few weeks, what is the difference? Willems might be around the draft. 

16 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Brad Ciolek said in a recent “On The Verge” pod that Creed has really loud tools but needs “more seasoning” with the player development people. Perhaps there are things they can accomplish in Sarasota that they cannot in Delmarva. Like shedding some of that baby fat, re-tooling the swing, simulator work for swing decisions, and catching mechanics work. 

I don’t get how this somehow impacts the prospect status of Baumler or Willems. That happened fast. Not for me anyway. 

They are being cautious with Baumler, sure. He is 17 months post-surgery and building up. Probably some mechanical work, pitch shaping, strengthening and such. If he moves up in a few weeks, what is the difference? Willems might be around the draft. 

Because special players do special things early. I've been doing this a long time. Anytime a guy who was given a lot of money was "held back" for more seasoning it typical means they were more raw than thought of and rarely ends up making the majors. In fact, he can't remember one.

Now does that mean Willem is a bust or won't make it, no, but it does drop his prospect status for me (which was admittedly too high based off the contract they gave him). 

As for Baumler, if he's healthy enough to pitch in games (he did this spring) he's healthy enough to break camp. Now the Orioles are absolutely the most risk adverse team in baseball when it comes to pitching prospects so this really could just be to build up his innings, but he's had an entire spring training in should be well into the pitching against competition phase at 17 months.  

If he moves up and pitches well in Delmarva he gets a bump back up, but for me, either he's a slow healer, wasn't as good as thought, he tweaked something this spring and the CIA-like Orioles are not saying anything anything, or he's not as good as thought because at his age he should certainly be pitching to Sally League hitters.

Either way he can easily be back up with good performance.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone heard what happened to Reed Trimble? He was awful with Delmarva last year but should have been back in the outfield there.

I don't remember where i read it but do remember it being an arm/shoulder injury that he is healing up from.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Because special players do special things early. I've been doing this a long time. Anytime a guy who was given a lot of money was "held back" for more seasoning it typical means they were more raw than thought of and rarely ends up making the majors. In fact, he can't remember one.

Now does that mean Willem is a bust or won't make it, no, but it does drop his prospect status for me (which was admittedly too high based off the contract they gave him). 

As for Baumler, if he's healthy enough to pitch in games (he did this spring) he's healthy enough to break camp. Now the Orioles are absolutely the most risk adverse team in baseball when it comes to pitching prospects so this really could just be to build up his innings, but he's had an entire spring training in should be well into the pitching against competition phase at 17 months.  

If he moves up and pitches well in Delmarva he gets a bump back up, but for me, either he's a slow healer, wasn't as good as thought, he tweaked something this spring and the CIA-like Orioles are not saying anything anything, or he's not as good as thought because at his age he should certainly be pitching to Sally League hitters.

Either way he can easily be back up with good performance.

I understand all of that. My comment was simply that the conclusion that it hurts their status is premature, IMHO. We disagree on a minor thing, cool.

With Baumler, it could just be as simple as they want to wait for warmer climates before sending his surgically repaired arm out there. Many teams are doing that, and I suspect that has something to do with DL, and perhaps Bradish, as well. Just taking care of their arms by waiting a few weeks for warmer temps. If Baumler is in Delmarva by the beginning of May, then what has he lost, developmentally? They are going to ramp him up slowly, innings-wise, anyway. Would you rather they shut him down in August?

Willems, hasn’t done anything yet. He looked a good bit chunky to me last summer. Big tools and all has not changed. I agree that more seasoning for him is a bit of a knock. If it is what I think it is, conditioning, then that is disappointing as he has had all off season to work on that. With that bonus, he should have spent all off season busting his butt to get into top shape. If that did not happen, I’ll knock him for it. 

For me, Willems is not even in my personal top 40 anyway. I know that sometimes guys like him can take a 1-2 years to get completely acclimated to expectations of pro ball. We’ll see what we have then. A guy like that has to show me he is willing to work, even when no one is looking. Guys like Gunnar, Grayson, DL, Coby and Drew, Westburg and Ortiz have busted it, and it shows work ethic and aptitude for the advanced things they are being taught.

This organization is different than the previous one. They handle each prospect on a case by case basis. There are standards they are held to, but each one has a different developmental plan that is clearly explained to them. They are very “new school” and a lot more patient in some ways than the scouts/evaluators/coaches of the game 10-20 years ago. If he is still not in Delmarva by the end of 2022, then I think we have a problem. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I understand all of that. My comment was simply that the conclusion that it hurts their status is premature, IMHO. We disagree on a minor thing, cool.

With Baumler, it could just be as simple as they want to wait for warmer climates before sending his surgically repaired arm out there. Many teams are doing that, and I suspect that has something to do with DL, and perhaps Bradish, as well. Just taking care of their arms by waiting a few weeks for warmer temps. If Baumler is in Delmarva by the beginning of May, then what has he lost, developmentally? They are going to ramp him up slowly, innings-wise, anyway. Would you rather they shut him down in August?

Willems, hasn’t done anything yet. He looked a good bit chunky to me last summer. Big tools and all has not changed. I agree that more seasoning for him is a bit of a knock. If it is what I think it is, conditioning, then that is disappointing as he has had all off season to work on that. With that bonus, he should have spent all off season busting his butt to get into top shape. If that did not happen, I’ll knock him for it. 

For me, Willems is not even in my personal top 40 anyway. I know that sometimes guys like him can take a 1-2 years to get completely acclimated to expectations of pro ball. We’ll see what we have then. A guy like that has to show me he is willing to work, even when no one is looking. Guys like Gunnar, Grayson, DL, Coby and Drew, Westburg and Ortiz have busted it, and it shows work ethic and aptitude for the advanced things they are being taught.

This organization is different than the previous one. They handle each prospect on a case by case basis. There are standards they are held to, but each one has a different developmental plan that is clearly explained to them. They are very “new school” and a lot more patient in some ways than the scouts/evaluators/coaches of the game 10-20 years ago. If he is still not in Delmarva by the end of 2022, then I think we have a problem. 

Baumler may very well be because of the way this organization handles their pitchers (like Fabergé Eggs). I hope it's because of them and not because he either tweaked something or he's not ready yet.

As for Willems, it was my own fault for ranking him so high based off the EVs and his signing bonus. I stand by the fact that he's had an entire offseason and spring training to work on things and at 19-years old, real prospects are typically ready for Delmarva. 

Again, doesn't mean I'm giving up on him, just making him earn his way onto the prospects scene now.

Similar to Baumler. No need to be a top 2o prospect yet when he hasn't thrown a professional pitch and wasn't able to start the year with a full season club 17 month after surgery. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...