Yusniel Diaz 2022

UMDTerrapins

On 5/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, UMDTerrapins said:

I know everyone thinks highly of Buck Britton, but I gotta question the wisdom of having Diaz stealing multiple bases after a hamstring injury. Or walking across a room without the accompaniment of a physician. 

I’m not usually one for quoting myself but I really wasn’t going out on a limb with this….

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’m not usually one for quoting myself but I really wasn’t going out on a limb with this….

Well, I don’t blame Britton one whit, but you certainly pegged the injury.   

Honestly I don’t know what you can ever do with a guy this unreliable.   He’s a different case than someone like Hays or Santander, who’ve had random different injuries.   This guy has had one leg injury after another.   There’s every reason to think it will continue. 

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I don’t know what you can ever do with a guy this unreliable.   He’s a different case than someone like Hays or Santander, who’ve had random different injuries.   This guy has had one leg injury after another.   There’s every reason to think it will continue. 

Agreed, and it’s likely that even when he is playing his overall performance will be tempered by the frequency of his health issues. I’m not advocating releasing him, but he can’t be counted on with a regular position of his own long term. Hopefully he runs into a stretch of health/productivity and we can trade him for an area of need. 

7 hours ago, panick said:

Does anyone know if he had a history of injuries when he was with the Dodgers?

Not sure what the injuries were, but when he was with the Dodgers:

Placed on IL twice in 2016 (7 days and then a little over a month)

Placed on IL once in 2017 (Almost a whole month)

Placed on IL once in 2018 (Little over a week)

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Thanks.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about his time in the O's system.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

There was a reason a guy the Dodgers spent over $40 million on was available for a rental.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There was a reason a guy the Dodgers spent over $40 million on was available for a rental.

If that doesn’t illustrate how starkly different the two organizations are, I don’t know what does.

Org A spends $40mm on an international lottery ticket and trades him away for one month of a playoff run.

Org B major league rosters is $40mm.  

So depressing to be an Orioles fan.  

On 5/14/2022 at 8:32 PM, Frobby said:

Maybe he can get a special exemption and use a scooter on the basepaths.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No doubt when Diaz was traded by the Dodgers, someone brought up that he cost $31 million to obtain.  I'm sure the reply was "it's only money" and do you want us to trade someone who will be good in the majors.  Without knowing what happened behind the scenes, it seems like the O's were steered toward Diaz.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

No doubt when Diaz was traded by the Dodgers, someone brought up that he cost $31 million to obtain.  I'm sure the reply was "it's only money" and do you want us to trade someone who will be good in the majors.  Without knowing what happened behind the scenes, it seems like the O's were steered toward Diaz.

Wasn't exactly a huge market for a Machado rental that year.