Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo won’t be as affected by the wall. He’s the type of RH 1B/DH bat we need. One that can hit it over the wall. 

Why would you put somebody with Mayo's arm strength at 1B or DH? He should stick at 3rd base or RF and hit a lot of HRs for somebody. Hopefully it's us. 

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Why would you put somebody with Mayo's arm strength at 1B or DH? He should stick at 3rd base or RF and hit a lot of HRs for somebody. Hopefully it's us. 

All things equal you want to put him in a position that takes advantage of his arm.   However, you don't get that advantage if he's below average at those spots otherwise.   If he's a terrible 3B as far as range or hands or a terrible RF as far as range and judging fly balls, why would you put him there just because he has a great arm?

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All things equal you want to put him in a position that takes advantage of his arm.   However, you don't get that advantage if he's below average at those spots otherwise.   If he's a terrible 3B as far as range or hands or a terrible RF as far as range and judging fly balls, why would you put him there just because he has a great arm?

I’ve seen him twice this season.  At worst, he’s adequate at 3B.  The arm is as advertised.  Makes the routine play.  I did see him make one matador play on a real hard smash at his feet.  Didn’t see any plays that tested his range or ability to leave his feet.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve seen him twice this season.  At worst, he’s adequate at 3B.  The arm is as advertised.  Makes the routine play.  I did see him make one matador play on a real hard smash at his feet.  Didn’t see any plays that tested his range or ability to leave his feet.  

Ok. We also have to see where Henderson winds up.   If it's 3B then Mayo is either trade bait or needs to find a position in RF or 1B.   Mayo looked pretty comfortable in RF from what I saw but, of course, I didn't see him have to go back or make any tough plays.   If he's got average speed he's probably an asset in RF if he's got at least average instincts out there.

Edited by RZNJ

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Cowser’s  swing decisions are determined before the pitch is even thrown. And I’ve been saying this all year, and I even said this at the game. I go it’s too early to pinch it for him because his defense is too good but he is 100% going to strike out and that’s exactly what he did with bases loaded. He decides whether he is going to swing a pitch before even thrown This is why he swings at a thrown pretty close to his face . And To be fair,he  had a pretty good season doing that but obviously can be  easily exploited
    • Cowser's progress was one of the more encouraging elements this season, especially on the defensive side. I was already crediting him with being Some Kind of Good major leaguer a post back. Between his and Adley's standout bad performances on the HBP and 2-0 count, I give Cowser more of a grace.     Sure he had predetermined intent to swing, but I think the follow through was some raw instinct as hand bones fractured. Adley not swinging was the lowlight how incapacitated he was.    I believe he commands the strike zone, but to feel so low you can't pull the trigger in that spot...sheesh.
    • I believe Elias plans to bring in two more SP's, the quality isnt what im sure about. But no question he'll want to replace Burnes. Which is why I didnt comment in this thread yet because Povich might not have a spot open at the beginning of the year. 
    • So a “Pollyanna” then like me, @wildcard and others (joking of course) 😇 I’m in your camp but really wonder if Elias/Hyde and Co. can truly“flip the script” as @Just Regular alludes.
    • So thats because the extra space in the OF allows for more balls to fall in? If so, I don't really see an issue if its providing offense in a different way. 
    • I'm neutral on it. I don't like how the old dimensions played like a wiffle ball field. Both teams have to play on it and the O's do have two good OF's so in that sense it helps us. RHH will probably hate it so very few would ever sign in Baltimore unless they thought the O's were in World Series contention. If they put it in the middle ground then the dimensions become like every other park and Im not sure I want that. At least Camden Yards plays different. 
    • I agree with this.  It was a completely idiotic take to criticize the fans.  And Russo on MLB Network did as well.  Did those guys watch this team at all this year? They were under .500 for the last 88 games of the season.....the worst team in the AL East.  These were the home series they played over the last three months: Chicago Cubs (swept and outscored 21-2), Yankees (lost 2 of 3 and needed two Yankee errors to walk off the last one), San Diego (lost 2 of 3), Toronto (won 3 of 4), Washington (split 1 of 2), Boston (split 2 of 4), Houston (split 2 of 4), White Sox (won 2 of 3 but lost last one 8-1), Tampa (lost 2 of 3), San Fran (lost 2 of 3), Detroit (lost 2 of 3). What is that, 15 - 20 in their last 35 home games?  And then they top it off by losing to the Royals 1 - 0 in the first game?  So fans are supposed to be excited and encouraged by that stretch of baseball?   You want people to show up to games, play like the Padres. Don't have your prized prospects go bust, don't have your stars fall off a cliff, and learn how to play fundamental baseball instead of obsessing about each swing's potential exit velocity.
  • Popular Contributors