Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Just now, Sports Guy said:

OBP is great but the thing is, if he can’t show a good hit tool and he doesn’t show power, he will eventually just get challenged and be a worthless player.  The OBP won’t be there.

I agree.   Major league pitchers don’t walk guys who don’t pose a threat with the bat.   Or even if they do, it’s not enough.  DJ Stewart without the power?

I don’t know what’s up with Cowser but it’s more than a slump at this point.  Nobody goes from a 15% K rate in A+ to 32% in AA.

Just now, Frobby said:

I agree.   Major league pitchers don’t walk guys who don’t pose a threat with the bat.   Or even if they do, it’s not enough.  DJ Stewart without the power?

I don’t know what’s up with Cowser but it’s more than a slump at this point.  Nobody goes from a 15% K rate in A+ to 32% in AA.

He’s not in AA

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not worried about it but it would still be nice for some reporting on it. 

Haha. Normal slump but you want reporters to ask about it. Yeah, right.

Anyone and everyone knows that it's not a normal slump.  That's why questions should be asked.

This is a guy rated with a 60 hit tool and that was the consensus of the "experts".  Doesn't miss fastballs.  No question he would hit.  The question was if he would be a table setter with below average power or something more.  The hit tool and contact were never in doubt.  

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I almost wonder if he needs glasses, but you’d think an eye exam would be a standard part of the yearly report to camp physical 🤷‍♀️

Could be. Look up Nick Esasky.  A player who struggled with vertigo.  That entered my mind as well.  

Hopefully, they tried to adjust his launch angle and it completely messed up his swing.  

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. Normal slump but you want reporters to ask about it. Yeah, right.

Anyone and everyone knows that it's not a normal slump.  That's why questions should be asked.

This is a guy rated with a 60 hit tool and that was the consensus of the "experts".  Doesn't miss fastballs.  No question he would hit.  The question was if he would be a table setter with below average power or something more.  The hit tool and contact were never in doubt.  

Well there are slumps because you suck and there are slumps because you are trying something new or just simply having a mechanical issue.  

We say Adley come out of the gate last year striking out at high levels as well.  

Obviously since Elias took him, he is an elite talent and shouldn’t already be sh!tting the bed this early in his pro career.  Elias knows everything, so no way he would swing and miss this bad on that pick already.

So, I’m guessing it’s a swing thing…something mechanical.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well there are slumps because you suck and there are slumps because you are trying something new or just simply having a mechanical issue.  

We say Adley come out of the gate last year striking out at high levels as well.  

Obviously since Elias took him, he is an elite talent and shouldn’t already be sh!tting the bed this early in his pro career.  Elias knows everything, so no way he would swing and miss this bad on that pick already.

His K/BB ratio was pretty close to 1, Cowser is pretty close to 2.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are a funny guy.  You love consensus until it doesn't agree with you.  Whether you agree with where they took Cowser or not, the consensus was that he was a 60 hitter and a pretty sure thing to hit.  This isn't as much about Elias and the pick as it is that something  REALLY WEIRD is going on.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are a funny guy.  You love consensus until it doesn't agree with you.  Whether you agree with where they took Cowser or not, the consensus was that he was a 60 hitter and a pretty sure thing to hit.  This isn't as much about Elias and the pick as it is that something  REALLY WEIRD is going on.

I was fine with the Cowser pick.  Just not who I would have taken.

That said, since Elias is so good at this and doesn’t make mistakes, I don’t think this is a slump to be concerned about.  If you are concerned, that means you are questioning Cowser as a hitter and if you are doing that, you really would be questioning Elias’ ability to properly grade that player because no way an advanced college guy should be this bad vs high A pitching.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was fine with the Cowser pick.  Just not who I would have taken.

That said, since Elias is so good at this and doesn’t make mistakes, I don’t think this is a slump to be concerned about.  If you are concerned, that means you are questioning Cowser as a hitter and if you are doing that, you really would be questioning Elias’ ability to properly grade that player because no way an advanced college guy should be this bad vs high A pitching.

You're funny. When did I or anyone else say Elias doesn't or can't make mistakes?

I think there is more going on here than improperly grading a player.  If Cowser was hitting .280 with 1 homer, and 10 strikeouts I'd be concerned they were too high on his hit tool.  This goes way beyond that but you don't seem to agree. This is not a normal slump.  A player with a 60 hit tool who struck out around 20% in low A doesn't suddenly strikeout 33% in high A and swing through fastballs in fastball counts which is clearly happening. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You're funny. When did I or anyone else say Elias doesn't or can't make mistakes?

I think there is more going on here than improperly grading a player.  If Cowser was hitting .280 with 1 homer, and 10 strikeouts I'd be concerned they were too high on his hit tool.  This goes way beyond that but you don't seem to agree. This is not a normal slump.  A player with a 60 hit tool who struck out around 20% in low A doesn't suddenly strikeout 33% in high A and swing through fastballs in fastball counts which is clearly happening. 

Right..which is why I don’t think it’s a concern.  I think there is some tinkering or mechanical thing going on.

Concern would be questioning his ability as a hitter going forward.  I’m not doing that.  

Plus Elias knows all, so there’s that too.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..which is why I don’t think it’s a concern.  I think there is some tinkering or mechanical thing going on.

Concern would be questioning his ability as a hitter going forward.  I’m not doing that.  

Plus Elias knows all, so there’s that too.

I don't believe Elias knows all but you keep throwing that comment out there.  You question him on picks which is your right.  I question your knowledge which is my right.  

It's funny that you throw out the line about Elias always being right. Are you sure you're not talking about yourself.  The same joke could be applied to you.  You're always so sure of things even though you aren't. 

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't believe Elias knows all but you keep throwing that comment out there.  You question him on picks which is your right.  I question your knowledge which is my right.  

It's funny that you throw out the line about Elias always being right. Are you sure you're not talking about yourself.  The same joke could be applied to you.  You're always so sure of things even though you aren't. 

You absolutely believe that people on here shouldn’t question Elias.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You absolutely believe that people on here shouldn’t question Elias.  

Nope. Didn't say that. You can question him. Absolutely.  Other posters do it.  You have a certain way of phrasing things that invites debate.